cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No VM wall socket!!!

kosta85
Joining in

Hi VM team,

We moved today to our new house. We took our VM HUB with us from our previous home and when I started connecting all cables I found out that there's no VM wall socket. I ve got a green light flashing from our HUB. The only things visible inside the house are: a  openreach Master socket 5c and a small rectangular openreach white box, an aerial socket which is for TV I think and two weird black cables coming out from the wall, both of them "male". The VM's cable for the wall is also male, Hahaha... Could you please help before my wife kills me. 

Thanks in advance, 

Kosta 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Call the Pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 see if they can help

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Call the Pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 see if they can help

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Also...

VM must have known that the property is serviceable and has had a connection previously - I suspect that is the 2 black cables - post up a photo of the cables and their connection sockets - the Hub cable may just push onto one of them

--------------------
John
--------------------

Underneath you will find attached all sockets and cables. 

20220809_163651-min.jpg

20220809_163700-min.jpg

20220809_163708-min.jpg

20220809_163720-min.jpg

20220809_163756-min.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Forget the OR connections - nothing to do with VM

The black cables look like VM ones - can you trace them back to wher they go outside - do they emanate from a brown/grey VM "omnibox" on the external wall?

Someone else needs to comment whether they "push on" or you need some kind of connector that they would have included in a quickstart pack.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I’d guess the two black cables are satellite (eg Sky) - can you see where they go?  Is there a dish fitted?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Picture 4 is a BT ONT, which means you are in a BT FTTP area. I would stongly suggest you ditch virgin and go with another ISP who uses BT cabling (such as EE) your wife will thank you in the long run. 

@That_E90_Guy wrote:

Picture 4 is a BT ONT, which means you are in a BT FTTP area. I would stongly suggest you ditch virgin and go with another ISP who uses BT cabling (such as EE) your wife will thank you in the long run. 

If the OP doesn’t take VM services to the new home and they’re available they’ll hold him to term on his existing contract, however long that is - whether that’s worth it it’s up to him.

As already advised, establish again if VM services are available and go from there - may need a technician to do the install if it turns out cables aren’t actually present….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Both black cables are leading to a satellite plate. I cannot leave VM cause I ve got a 2 years contract with them..tomorrow I m going to call them to sort this out..

g0akc
Problem sorter

@kosta85 wrote:

Both black cables are leading to a satellite plate. I cannot leave VM cause I ve got a 2 years contract with them..tomorrow I m going to call them to sort this out..

That’s what I expected - as in my previous post.  

If it turns out there’s no VM available at the new house they should waive the penalty charge  - you would need to provide evidence like utility bill, rent agreement, sale documents etc.

On the other hand there’s probably ‘just’ a mix up of where the cables are that VM can resolve.