cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet!

nolly1953
Up to speed

I had virgin broadband in my previous house since it came out and have never had any problems.  I moved house a few months ago, bringing my old Virgin 3 router.  I have also been supplied with 2 pods by Virgin.  Frequently I now see "Connected (No Internet!)" when I check the wifi on my mobile and Virgin Connect says that it cannot see the hub.  The same for my wife.  There is still broadband via ethernet. 

When I last contacted Virgin about this, they told me to turn the router on and off which solves the problem every time.  I don't really want to have to do that.  They didn't offer a solution.

Any thoughts about why this is happening and a permanent solution.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

Connected no internet is exactly what happens when a device has been blocked by the VM Connect apps Wi-Fi pausing functions.  It is quite possible to block access for your mobile with the VM Connect app.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Nolly1953, 

Thanks for using the Community Forums to get this issue with your internet over WIFI looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration 😥 I would be more than happy to look into this for you!

I can see @Client62 has already mentioned some advice about the issue. Would you be able to follow the steps in this video to see if Client's hunch is correct 👉 Blocked Devices

If that is not the root cause of the problem, then we can investigate further.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Thanks for the reply, but that is not the cause in my case.  At any rate, when it happens, it is not possible for me to get onto VM Connect since there is no internet access.

Hi Megan_L,

Thanks for the reply, but that is not the cause in my case.  At any rate, when it happens, it is not possible for me to get onto VM Connect since there is no internet access.

The next time it happens, I will take notes on what does and what does not have internet access.

Thanks for the update, please let us know once you have more details and we'll be happy to assist further.

Rob

Hi Megan_L,

This is still occurring - Connected - No Internet appearing when using wifi in some parts of the house.  I am getting fed up with having to reset pods or the router.  We have a smart house and depend on wifi for our doorbell, lights, heating, Alexa etc.  My disabled son depends on Alexa in case he falls.

I am seriously considering leaving Virgin after probably 20 years with your cable company.    When I phoned support they spent ages getting me to reset everything which of course worked, but I really don't want to have to keep doing that.

Can you send an engineer out to see what the issue is?

Please!

Thanks

Client62
Legend

Take a close look at the location of the VM Pods,  an easy mistakeis to place a VM Pod in a location where there is not enough signal for it to repeat. E.g in a bedroom right next to a TV or PC etc.

A simple test for the location of the VM Pods is turn the VM Pod OFF - at this location your mobile should have a decent Wi-Fi signal,  if it does not a decent Wi-Fi signal the VM Pod will not be able to work effectively in this location.

Thanks.  That is a good tip... but I think that the issue is more complex...

Can you explain this?  At the moment, standing beside the router when I check the wifi on my phone I see "Connected - No Internet!" and I cannot access Virgin Connect.    Move 2 rooms away beside a pod and I get an excellent connection and can open VM Connect.

Sometimes I get the error when I am beside a pod.

Hi @nolly1953 

There are a few requirements for the Pods to work with our Hubs:

•    The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'.
•    Channel Optimisation must be left on.
•    The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled.
•    The SSID must be password protected.
•    The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match.

As long as all of the above points are all met then the Pod should automatically connect to your Hub's Wi-Fi and begin broadcasting. The wireless details from the Pod will be the same as the Hub's details, so no additional steps are required to connect the devices in the home.

This link will help though if you do have any issues: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/intelligentwifipod

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill