Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nightmare virgin intermittent wifi

Hi 

I just moved from talktalk to virgin 100mb for two months, it supposed to be an upgrade in terms of speed but turned out to be a nightmare. the speed I receive from virgin is very intermittent, one minute is fine and the other drop to very slow or none, particularly at night time. Sometimes my mobile gets wifi speed but iPad getting none, or the other way around. I have raised the issue with virgin for more than a month now and talked to various customer service team. So far upon advice from virgin,  I have tried:

-factory Reset the router

-Apply some changed setting in router

- replacement virgin router

-virgin sent a new signal over the phone

None of which really worked and I have wasted so much time with customer service on the phone. One of the complaint team was very bad and push made me feel even worse, basically, one day after receiving the new router, he already push me for closing the complaint despite I repeatedly explained it has been less than a day for me to tell if the intermittent issue been resolved.

I am getting very frustrated and disappointed with virgin service, I wish I have not switched to it and stayed with talktalk or anyother non cable wifi I had before.  Worst is virgin will not let me exit contract penalty free despite this disappointing service. Could anyone help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nightmare virgin intermittent wifi

How are you testing wifi or ethernet cable connection?

Whenever possible test with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other items connected using speedtest.net.

WiFi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring WiFi; basically allsorts.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't use any wired devices, so I could not monitor it on lan service. I could only compare it with other broadband service I had before, it never occured intermittent wifi as bad as this before. Althought I do note the router positon in my house is different, but virgin only works on this cable socket.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The point of "testing" on ethernet is to see whether your issues are network/hub related or wifi/hub related. Different courses of action will be needed to try and fix those - so pinpointing what the issue is, is an important first step. You say that you cant provide that data - do you not have a laptop or could you not borrow one or get a friend around to test it for you? Or you can get ethernet adaptors for devices without that  - such as to USB ports or to Phone connectors (e.g to lightning or mUSB). It would be useful to have one of them in your kit drawer - with some Ca6 cable.

To check your Network connection do this...

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts.  It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM.   Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

To improve the Hub wifi - try this experiment.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.
You can also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.
See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_2020-02-15-02-39-26-08_604de3edb6cf736d64f14c6e5a431779.png

Screenshot_2020-02-15-03-19-36-26_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.png

Screenshot_2020-02-15-03-19-55-59_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.png

Does the router status looks normal? I appreciate forum replies but much of the contents are too techinate for me to follow. Virgin should not expect layman customer to peform all these....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_2020-02-15-03-19-55-59_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Julianmile,

Thanks for your posts on our Community Forum, may I also offer you a very warm welcome on behalf of our Forum Team!

Sorry to see you've been having issues with your broadband services. 

Sadly the images are very difficult for me to see due to the size of them. I have been able to run background checks on your account where I can see that the hub is within spec and doesn't highlight any issues.

Have you attempted to split the bands as suggested by @jbrennand to see if this can combat the issue?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

0 Kudos