Menu
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Nightmare trying to get this stuff working...

Guys,

I posted recently about boosters and had some great replies which appeared to solve my issue.  However all has gone to pot after I moved the booster box, and I note that the instructions in the VM app are incorrect/unclear and differ to the instructions supplies with the booster a week or so ago.

I have a hub 3 and upgraded to 500/mbps from 350/mbps.  VM sent me two boosters - small and large.  Pre 500 I had a devolo 500 setup and life was good.

Issue is that, basically, I don't understand what the lights mean on the devices.  What do the two arrows mean - they are continually on large and small devices; the white lights solid means "all good?".  When does the wifi light come into play?.  I've tried factory re-setting both boxes and starting from scratch but have no evidence of boosting.  I have small device on RJ45 and the larger device roaming.

Which is the "predominant" box - large or small or does it not matter exactly which one is RJ45 to the router?

Surely when all lights are stable I can just move the bigger, non-RJ45 box to anywhere? - that's what it's all about isn't it?

Presumably to pair any device which has similar tech standards (a/b/g/h/n/etc.) should not be a problem, e.g. I could theoretically pair my devolo 500 with the Hub 3 and live happily?  On devolo I press the house button and on Hub 3 then WPA button on the front?  Paying an additional £5/month for another booster is not really the answer (in any event I managed to get through to speak to someone at VM who said they had no stock and were not expecting any until March 2021 and I would have to join the queue... 😞

Please, any help anyone?  Am massively frustrated with VM and still have 4-5 days before I can reject their whole system and move elsewhere, likely to a mesh system and use the Hub 3 as a modem.

Many thanks

(setup, boosters, devolo, nightmare, device lights, mesh)

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nightmare trying to get this stuff working...

@Deserrol wrote:

Am massively frustrated with VM and still have 4-5 days before I can reject their whole system and move elsewhere, likely to a mesh system and use the Hub 3 as a modem.

Do that now - just get a 3rd party mesh system and put hub in modem mode

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos