Menu
Smithler118
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Nighthawk mash

Hi, I’ve just bought a netgear nighthawk mash WiFi 6, due to my virgin WiFi signal getting worse & worse, erm I’ve got it all up & running but when I put the super hub 3 into modern mode it kills all the Ethernet on the super hub, is that normal? The nighthawk mash only has 1 Ethernet connection on that back which is no good, because I have my cctv run off ethernet & hive run off it, I’ve put the super hub back into router mode & running the nighthawk mash on the same network, is that ok? Am not great with this business 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nighthawk mash

Modem mode disables 3 of the 4 ethernet ports on the hub

0 Kudos
Smithler118
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So at the moment I’ve turn the super hub back into router mode & running the new mash with it & it seems to be working great, but is that normal? Or should I really be putting the super hub into modem mode? 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Modem Mode gives you a modem, that’s all. Any other connections are to your router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I think you need to disable the Wi-Fi on the hub3 though.  I am not sure if any complication if you have both devices transmit Wi-Fi but maybe someone with IT background can advise 😉

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You’ll need an unmanaged desktop switch to get more Ethernet ports 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ideally you want to run it in modem mode, you will need a cheap switch if you want more ethernet ports

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just get a switch and connect it to the mesh other port and all your other devices to the switch.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Port-Desktop-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B017N0DTZM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&ke...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Smithler118
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When put a Ethernet cable in the back of the mash router it doesn’t give out any internet though? 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

do you get a link light when you connect a cable to it? if not, try a different cable 🙂

0 Kudos