cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New wifi pod wont connect to 5g

Rich29583
Tuning in

Hi I recently just got a virgin wifi pod I do have the hub 5 the pod shows in my virgin connect app but no devices are connecting to it unless I turn 2.5ghz bk on my hub 5 router but then that defeats the object as all my devices connect to 2.5ghz and speeds are so slow is there anyway u can get the wifi pod to broadcast 5ghz instead of 2.5ghz

2 REPLIES 2

Client62
Legend

I thought to use VM Pods, the Hub requires both 2.4 & 5GHz bands Enabled with the same SSID & Channel Optimization Enabled.

Check if the root of problem is the Hub 5, is it transmitting on 5Ghz and accepting connections at 5Ghz.

The Virgin pods apparently only work if you leave the Wi-Fi settings at default - don't split the bands - use the intelligent wifi setting.

Choosing the best band to use in a particular location within the property is ultimately down to the device behaviour.  Unfortunately some devices, including latest Apple ones, will cling on to 2.4GHz, which of course they often see first when returning home, even though they would be better off switching to 5GHz.

I don't know if the VM hubs/pods band steering within their 'intelligent wifi' well - but that is often the best solution to the dilemma described.  I see some articles like this suggesting it is implemented.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!