Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New to Virgin - Devolo Wifi Booster - yes or no

Just got Virgin Broadband. I am on the Vivid 100 package - so getting good speeds - about 70-80mgs BUT in a couple of rooms I have am not getting strong speeds over the wifi.

Can anyone recommend the Devolo Wifi booster - just wondered if its compatible with the hub 3.0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Starter-Homeplug-Adapter-Wireless/dp/B00C5IA4TW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF...

Bottom line is i am looking to extend my wifi into these areas where i am not achieving full wifi speed potential

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New to Virgin - Devolo Wifi Booster - yes or no

dont know anything about the booster you name - but before you look at that have you split the channels on the hub3 - log in and give the 2.4 and 5 channels different names also turn off smart wifi

afaik boosters are not the best solution but let others comment on that

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks for responding.

why should I split them?

what is smart wifi?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

splitting the channels gives you the choice of which band to use and can give better speeds by you choosing the correct one rather than leaving it to the hub to guess

smart wifi is something VM have in the router to select the best channel - from all thats said here it does not work as intended and when on can give poor speeds

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

why do the virgin engineers on set up not tell us this?

so do you recommend to split?

how do you do it?

which things should be linked with which band?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and in "smart wifi" (if you have it) disable "channel optimisation" - save changes. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. Also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one that is less so. See if that helps - you will lose the “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always "factory reset" it back if you prefer the way it was or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks very much

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
I have Vivid 200 Broadband at home.
I recently bought 2 Devolo WiFi Repeaters. I was able to successfully configure and add both Devolo WiFi Repeaters to my home network
After a little while, around 15 minutes later, I was unable to access the internet, as there seemed to be a conflict between the WiFi Repeaters and the Super Hub 3. Through a process of trial and error I was able to establish that adding the Devolo WiFi Repeaters [single or both] to the network was the reason I could not access the Internet, once the Devolo WiFi Repeater was added to the Network.
I already have other Devolo products [dLAN 200 AV Mini and dLAN 200 AV WiFi, plus dLAN 1200+ ac and 1200+ WiFi ac] installed and working without any issues.
As I was able to reproduce the problem by adding the Devolo WiFi Repeaters each time, I returned the Devolo WiFi Repeaters, so I am now considering the Devolo Magic 2 Mesh-WiFi devices. However, these new devices are not backwards compatible and considerably more expensive than the Devolo WiFi Repeaters.
0 Kudos