Menu
LeeHambling
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

New router - phone line not taking calls

Hi

I'm working from home at the moment. I'm having issues with my internet connection. I've plugged my router directly into my laptop but the internet connection is still disconnecting. Thousands of my colleagues work from home and don't have this issue. I've adjusted my laptop settings on the advice of my IT department but the problem continues.

Everyday it disconnects 3 or 4 times.

I'm wondering if a new router would help. Happy to pay for a new one.

My current router must be over 3 years old.

I've tried calling the Virgin Media lines to speak to someone and the automated message told me to call back later and cut me off.

This is disrupting my work everyday and I'll have to try another provider if I can't find a solution via Virgin.

Virgin Media - please can you contact me about this issue here, or call me on [removed].

Thanks

Lee

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: New router - phone line not taking calls

@LeeHambling wrote:

Hi

I'm working from home at the moment. I'm having issues with my internet connection. I've plugged my router directly into my laptop but the internet connection is still disconnecting. Thousands of my colleagues work from home and don't have this issue. I've adjusted my laptop settings on the advice of my IT department but the problem continues.

Everyday it disconnects 3 or 4 times.

I'm wondering if a new router would help. Happy to pay for a new one.

My current router must be over 3 years old.

I've tried calling the Virgin Media lines to speak to someone and the automated message told me to call back later and cut me off.

This is disrupting my work everyday and I'll have to try another provider if I can't find a solution via Virgin.

Virgin Media - please can you contact me about this issue here, or call me on [removed].

Thanks

Lee

first suggestion is always to test with an ethernet cable, which you've done.

Next up, it's worth setting up a BQM that will graph the performance of your connection over time, and also show any drops on the WAN interface 

It's also worth posting the logs from your router for the clever people around here to take a look at. to do that, browse to http://192.168.0.1 - don't log in, click on "Router Status" and copy/paste the information from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Logs pages back here  - you will need to do this over multiple posts as it's too big to fit into a single one.. 

0 Kudos