cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation, no Wi-Fi in half the house

CuddlesTC
On our wavelength

I moved house yesterday and got my services moved over to my new place this morning; I didn’t realise until after the engineer left that I only get Wi-Fi in two of my four rooms now. 

From what I’ve read, it looks like Virgin basically only guarantee you’ll get Wi-Fi if you’re next to the hub, and if your walls are concrete and you’re only on M350, you have to pay an extra £8 a month for Wi-Fi pods? I’m sure they used to offer some free solution, but that could be either my dodgy memory or just a really long time ago!

Thanks in advance for any clarification or advice 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Alessandro Volta

With walls of concrete & rebar the VM Pods & Wireless Repeaters or a MESH may not be the right answer.

Where you can not use your mobile with the Hub Wi-Fi is also a point where you can not install a VM Pod / Wireless Repeater and expect it to function.

Consider using Wireless Access Points either on network cables or as Powerline extenders with Wi-Fi.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM wi-fi guarantee explained below

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

Pods might be 'free' (as in 'lunch') for customers on some packages or £8 p.m.

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/wifi

Advice on here is typically to put your hub into modem mode and get your own superior wifi network equipment to provide the kind of coverage you need for each room.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

With walls of concrete & rebar the VM Pods & Wireless Repeaters or a MESH may not be the right answer.

Where you can not use your mobile with the Hub Wi-Fi is also a point where you can not install a VM Pod / Wireless Repeater and expect it to function.

Consider using Wireless Access Points either on network cables or as Powerline extenders with Wi-Fi.

CuddlesTC
On our wavelength

Thanks both - I’m using an old router I had lying around (from back when I had use modem mode on my Hub 2) which is getting the Wi-Fi as far as the bedroom, but is not secure enough for a permanent solution.

Moving a Hive plug into the hall boosted the Hive hub signal as far as the bedroom, which I take as a good sign.

Rereading the t&cs now I’m less frazzled from the move, I realise I am eligible for pods after all, as I’m a Volt customer, so I might as well try that before laying out any more money, but moving on to Powerline if need be.

Thanks again.

It most certainly is not worth getting the VM pods if you have to pay for them, £8 a month for a somewhat flakey product just isn’t worth the gamble. But if they happen to be free for you, then no loss in trying them out. Worse case scenario, you wasted some time and end up getting your own solution anyway.

CuddlesTC
On our wavelength

Yes, my thoughts exactly.