Menu
Ripp
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New installation, WiFi has gone super slow after an hour (Was 360+Mbps, now its 20Mbps)

New customer, new installation today. I have the M500 package and see on average 550Mbps on my PC which is connected to my VM Hub 3 via a Cat6 cable so my connection is all good.

After installation the engineer tested my WiFi speed by connecting his mobile phone and saw 360Mbps and when I connected my phone I saw 498Mbps, both via the 2.4GHz WiFi, so far so good.

But, a couple of hours after the installation my WiFi has dropped down to an average of 20Mbps (sometimes its as slow as 8Mbps) even if the phone is sat right next to the hub.  

I am fully aware that I won't see wired speeds over WiFi but 20Mbps is ridiculous when the wired connection is seeing 550Mbps and the WiFi did see between 360 & 498Mbps for a couple of hours.

I see this same very slow speed over any device I connect via WiFi so this is clearly an issue with the Hub 3's WiFi and not my devices.

I've tried rebooting the Hub 3 several times, enabling and disabling 5GHz WiFi and also renaming the 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi to distinguish between the 2. Smart WiFi is also disabled and has been since installation, I assume the engineer did that.

Is there anything else I can actually do before I get on the phone to them in the morning? Do I have a duff Hub 3?

Also, after rebooting the hub earlier it took me an hour of faffing about to get 3 android devices connected to the Hub 3, at first the WiFi network just simply did not show up even though the green WiFi light was on on the Hub 3 and there were no problems shown when logged into the Hub 3 via a web browser (wired connection to PC) and then when the WiFi network finally did show up I simply couldn't connect to it, I just kept getting "failed to authenticate' errors even though I was using the correct password.

It's been half a day and I'm sure my Hub 3 is knackered.

0 Kudos
Ripp
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New installation, WiFi has gone super slow after an hour (Was 360+Mbps, now its 20Mbps)

Are Virgin Media likely to help me tomorrow when I call them? I'm still within my cool off period so I'm hoping they'll send an engineer out before I decide to cancel the whole thing. 

20Mbps is simply not acceptable on a 550Mbps connection. There is clearly a massive problem with my Hub 3's WiFi. This massive drop is clearly not just the usual 'the Hub 3 isn't that good at WiFi" kind of issue. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New installation, WiFi has gone super slow after an hour (Was 360+Mbps, now its 20Mbps)

20Mbps is acceptable for Wifi.

You need to test wired connection speeds as that’s what you’re being sold and paying for. 

It’s also impossible to get 300-400Mps on the 2.4Ghz band as it’s never been specced to handle such speeds. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Ripp
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Think it's fixed, kind of. Did a pin hole reset and then split the networks to 2.4 and 5GHz again by renaming them like I did earlier before posting this thread and this time it's made a difference, presumably because of the reset. 

2.4GHz = approx 50-60Mbps all over the house.

5.0GHz  = 545Mbps within 1 meter of the hub and slows down the further away I get until it's down to 60Mbps in the room in the house that is completely opposite the hub.

So if I want the higher end all over the house I need to somehow boost my 5.0GHz signal somehow. That's a job for another day though.

Weird how the same settings now suddenly work after the pin hole reset. 

0 Kudos
Ripp
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

According to the link below 2.4GHz is specced to handle 450Mbps under absolute ideal conditions but obviously it's a very busy frequency in the real world. There aren't that many house around my house so I'm surprised that my 2.4GHz speed is that bad. 

https://socialwifi.com/knowledge-base/wifi-technology/difference-between-24-and-5-ghz-wifi/

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

300Mbps is the max theoretical speed. 
“Real-world” speeds will be around 150Mbps in lab conditions and on devices that support said speeds (which won’t be many).

Your speeds your getting now are about right. If you want better throughput then put the hub into modem mode and attach a better high end router or mesh system.

“Boosters” won’t help with speeds. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos