Menu
shanebennett224
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New hub

Good evening, 

Just a quick question, I have been having a lot of issues with my hub noy putting out wifi as well as slow Internet speeds, does anybody know whats then chances of getting a replacement from virgin as I've been told they will try to avoid this as much as they can ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New hub

What Hub model do you currently have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
shanebennett224
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The hub 3

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK - So what are connections and speeds like when you connect a laptop/computer to the Hub directly on ethernet cable? If you dont know - can you try it and see?

This is to see whether the issue is more likely to be a wifi only one or a network connection one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
shanebennett224
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have actually been saving this data for when I ring virgin, here is the last few days using my pc via ethernet cable 

Screenshot_20210220-202610_Messenger.jpg

 I have the 250mbps package some days I hardly get anywhere n ear what I should 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can see it but cant read it 🙂

Just do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then.... can you do the speed tests this way...

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good (i.e. a different/new one) and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”).

Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into windows safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos