cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hub 5 rendering house completely useless

smokeitange
Joining in

So after multiple complaints regarding the quality of my broadband considering we pay for the top package and work from home. Constant drops in signal, only getting around 20mgb when running a speed check. Trouble is our house is a smart home and as such when the internet is down we can’t switch our lights on! 

so the kind chaps at virgin offered an upgrade to a hub 5 to which it arrived today. 

I have spent hours and hours and I cannot get it to work right with our home (the hub 4 was fine). So our set up is the hub is connected to a router board which then distributes multiple cat 5s across the house to all sorts of Wi-Fi boosters, lights etc. now the problem is the wi-if from the VM router works fine but as soon as you plug the router board in, the other items work but then it kicks the majority off and kicks the VM Wi-Fi off. I’ve tried this in modem mode but the trouble is only half of the items work and I need the main VM Wi-Fi on. 

what the hell is wrong with this “updated hub”? It’s like it’s just blocking the router board items and is not compatible, I will just be sending this one straight back and keeping the hub 4. 

anyone any ideas? 

7 REPLIES 7

carl_pearce
Community elder

What is the 'router board' you mention?

Just a switch, like below?

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi smokeitange, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the connection, do you have an image of the router board which you mention? 

Can you run a speed test here

Do you find that you get the same issue which you only connect one device? 

Kind regards, Chris. 

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like it's your own "router board" that's the issue

Wriggler
Joining in

It has nothing to do with your "router board" the problem is your useless HUB5. I had a so called "upgrade" from a HUB4 to a HUB5 with this being against my wishes. I had an engineer visit the house to change a faulty TV Box but while he was here he said that he needed to look at my router. He apparently found an issue with it, which was strange given that I hadn't encountered any issues such as dropped connections etc. My PC when connected to a HUB4 via Ethernet I regularly obtained 950mbps+ download with 101mbps upload and averaging 500+mbps download and 100mbps upload on Wi-Fi. Since the HUB5 was installed the connection via Ethernet has been as much good as useless when connected to the same PC with the same Ethernet cable having only achieved a maximum 358mbps download on only one occassion but averaging only 255mbps download with upload still at 100mbps. The upload does regularly drop to "half speed" in the 50-55mbps during peak time. I had an enegineer out who tested my incoming signal which as expected was over 1gb mbps download and upload of 104mbps which is what I am paying for. When I said that doesn't account for the fact that I have a useles connection when connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable and in my opinion Virgin have screwed up with the HUB5 seemingly ensuring that the Wi-Fi connection is stable and higher than the HUB4 but that they have cocked it up bigtime with the Ethernet connection. To prove my point I asked him to connect his testing equipment directly to my router which he did and low and behold he still managed to get 101mbps upload but the download dropped to 550mbps which was half speed when compared to what he got when connected to the direct feed coming into the house. He said, "it's still a good connection," and my reply was that compared to what I was getting via ethernet when connected to the HUB4 the HUB5 was in the only way I could describe and that it was "useless." I said that I wanted the HUB5 replaced with a HUB4 but he didn't have one on his van so the excuse was, "if I was you I would see how it goes if the software is updated etc as in his opinion the HUB5 was better than the HUB4" which of course he is entitled to his view but I stuck to my guns having read many bad reports on the HUB5 when connected via ethernet. I stuck it out for a another week and when I was still getting a "useless" connection when connected via Ethernet I contacted Virgin Media Tech Supoport and asked that the HUB5 be replaced with a HUB4. Their stock answer was that "it was not possible to downgrade once you have upgraded," with my arguement being that I didn't ask for the HUB5 and I told the engineer on the day who insisted on replacing the "apparently" faulty HUB4. On a weekly basis I have contacted Virgin support to ask for a HUB4 and finally tomorrow an engineer is coming out and on the job card he/she have been instructed to make sure that they have a HUB4 router on their van. This is a last chance saloon if the useless HUB5 is not changed tomorrow then I will be contacting BRSK to get have their broadband installed and get rid of all of my Virgin Services who I have been with from day one. I will also get rid of my TV and home package and get my TV from SKY. What really annoys me is that Virgin know that the HUB5 when connected via ethernet is useless compared to the HUB4 so why do they continue to give customers the runaround with the usual stock answer of "try doing a reset of your router and make sure that your ethernet cables are connected properly."

Client62
Legend

Perhaps you need this ...

Cancel by signed for letter : https://www.virginmedia.com/help/cancel-virgin-media

@Client62 wrote:

Perhaps you need this ...

Cancel by signed for letter : https://www.virginmedia.com/help/cancel-virgin-media

and paragraphs would be useful also.

Client62
Legend