Menu
Baz1892
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New VM M200 fibre broadband yesterday but WiFi worse than Sky

Installation yesterday, with Hub 3.0. Works very well in lounge where the hub is, also the bedroom immediately above it. Remainder of the house is poor to non-existent, even the dining room next door to the lounge has poor or no WiFi. I did the room-by-room scan via the VM Connect app, which failed to connect to the hub in all but the 2 rooms I mentioned. I have addressed all the suggested adjustments in terms of hub position, per VM. No change.

I changed from Sky to improve the broadband speed and range, the latter always reached every room plus the patio. Now it’s much worse!

I expect VM’s response will be that I need a booster/extender, and I’m anxious to hear from other users in case there’s something else I could do first.

What I’m paying for is not what I was expecting, to say the least. Views and suggestions would be appreciated, including recommendations for proven range boosting. I live in a 1930’s semi, brick walls throughout. Thanks. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New VM M200 fibre broadband yesterday but WiFi worse than Sky

If everything is fine on ethernet connections and its just a wifi issue, you could try the procedure below and see if it helps. If not then you should consider putting the Hub into modem mode and using your own router and wireless equipment.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.  5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Baz1892
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, I’ll give that a whizz. I can’t say I’d be happy to have to run to another router etc, I will need to take it up with VM direct if your channel opt procedure doesn’t solve the issue.
And I’m still of the opinion that VM should have a reasonable solution for me, given the WiFi coverage my outgoing Sky router provided via just the telephone line. I’ll post the outcome idc, cheers.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” but most will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them at the moment - unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

BT supply whole home wifi - but thats an extra £10/mo for x3 of their own "discs" - which cost ~£100 on Amazon !

And at those level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi woes.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin provide a guaranteed speed and connection on a cabled connection. Wifi isn’t covered under that guarantee. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Kp2002
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi I am having the same issues. I changed from virgin having been with them since they formed . The WiFi range has been a problem so after having 3 years away I've opted to try them again. Same issues on range .but my existing router BT is fine . The speed at the router is fine ( exactly as advertised) I am still within my 14 days cooling off period. Just wish they had overcome the range issue . 

I am going to see what it is like linked up to a mesh router system.

John

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The other option (if Sky gave you an acceptable service) is to go back to them, using the 14 day cooling off rights to cancel VM without penalty.  I'm sure if you phoned up VM to cancel they'd try and come up with an offer to keep you, although you need to consider carefully whether anything they tell you is compelling and will be reliable, because once you're out of the cooling off period, then cancelling will be expensive (£240 charge) or you'll have to get embroiled in complaints procedures which are slow, and still may not help. 

As @jbrennand says, the best solution is to do what he, I and many others have done, and invest in your own wifi setup, but we know that's not something everybody is willing to do.  In my view you'd be looking at around £120 for something like a TP-Link Deco S4, and depending on your needs and available cash you might just think "stuff that, I'm going back to Sky".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos