Menu
randomgiraffe
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New IP Adress (Getting DDOsed)

Hi,

We are using Virgin Media Hub 3. Recently somebody has been DDOSing our network. We are in need of getting new ip adress in order for this to stop. What are the options?

~

As I googled the matter it says that Virgin assigns new IP adress every 16-21 days. Its been 6days since our ip has been released. Waiting another 10+ Days while getting DDOSed every 1hour or so seems impossible...

Many thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New IP Adress (Getting DDOsed)

@randomgiraffe wrote:

Hi,

We are using Virgin Media Hub 3. Recently somebody has been DDOSing our network. We are in need of getting new ip adress in order for this to stop. What are the options?

~

As I googled the matter it says that Virgin assigns new IP adress every 16-21 days. Its been 6days since our ip has been released. Waiting another 10+ Days while getting DDOSed every 1hour or so seems impossible...

Many thanks

I'm not sure that's the case - some folks have had the same IP address for months or more. 

The IP address for VM residential is bound to the MAC address of your router.  One option is to put the hub in modem mode and use a 3rd party router which will have a different MAC and probably spoofing capability.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ip address will not change unless you swap to modem mode.

Why do you think you are being ddosed. its unlikely
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yeah virgin IP's are very "sticky" and it's not known how long VM cache the IP<->MAC address relationship for.. 

There was another discussion on this a week or so ago - worth a read.. 

in summary, though, the only sure-fire way of doing it is putting the hub into modem mode and attaching a 3rd party router to it - the new MAC address of the router will force the DHCP servers to give you a new address..

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Do bear in mind that the person/s your upset enough to want to DDOS you will soon find your new IP address and start again.

Better to leave that site alone for a while and try something new.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

1 what did you do to get to this situation?

2 if your IP was changed some other poor customer would get your IP address 

3 you should fix the reason for the situation

4 You are NOT being DDOSed, DDOS is Distributed Denial of Service attach, this involves hundreds of stations, usually bots, sending data to your IP address.

5 You have suffered a DOS attach, usually by one individual who you have upset in some way.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos