cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub 5 issues

Logrox
Tuning in

Hi 

I will try make this as brief as possible, so apologies if you find my messages repeating itself. I used to have the Hub three and was asked by VM if I wanted the new hub 5. It was supposed to be the best thing in the world. Well.....

We have installed the Hub, and we have connected most of our electronics to the Wi-Fi connection. The problem I know have is my Apple iMac intermittently disconnects and then says there is no IP address, following on from that it then says the password is incorrect. I have found a way to resolve this, and that is simply by turning the hob on and off. The next of my issues is my printer which is a HP DeskJet 3050a used to work on the old Wi-Fi hub 3. For some reason my printer will no longer find the Internet connection, I’ve changed over the frequencies and that still has not worked, I’ve been onto the gadget team who have told me I need to pay £50 over a period of six months in order for them to assist me to get my printer to work correctly with the new hub, The other problem I have is my daughters speaker no longer works either, as it for some reason cannot find the Internet to. I have tried to bypass these and use my mobile as a go-between, it works momentarily and then instantly disconnects from the Internet.

I am now at my wits end, as I’ve been on the phone most of the day, I have been reset, had new Pynsent, had basically everything done to which they are suggesting and the following response was for me to pay the £20 today so they could help me. To be quite honest I believe that they were going to have quite a few issues with older appliances trying to connect to the new hub 5. 

In terms of my printer, there is no way I can connect it hardwired to the Hub as I have not got to be additional lead so I have to rely on the WPS button, unfortunately as I have said that will not connect to my printer so I have no idea what to do in regards to that. I’ve also downloaded the HP app and that also doesn’t work.

In regards to the speaker, I am simply at a loss it is now just an ornament.

Is there anyone that can help with this issue? Thank you very much in advance I do appreciate any support.

26 REPLIES 26

Thank you for your response, I will try what the other users have suggested. 

Alternatively I can put the old hub back in and return the new hub considering it was working before this upgrade, whilst I appreciate you might think it’s my devices it’s highly unlikely to be that as I have mentioned many times before and gadget rescue wanted me to pay £50 to get my previously working devices working again. 

Pin hole reset, new signals, complete deactivation and reactivation all been done. I do believe this will create problems for other when they also get the hub5. 

Thank you 

Hi Logrox,  

Thanks for coming back to us.  

Did you have any joy with anything that's already been suggested? If not, and you're wanting to go back to the previous Hub you had, you will need to speak to the team on 0345 454 1111 so they can see if this is possible for you.  

Keep us posted and updated.  

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have the same printer and also experienced the same issue after switching to the Hub 5.

Hi

My printer won’t work at all and all I get is ‘it just be my printer’ however my dad tried it on his hub3 and it still works so it appears the hub is not compatible with older equipment, a problem virgin will have to address at some point as I’m sure many others will encounter this issue. 

I have managed to get the speaker working with the help of my father in law and have saved £50 that the gadget rescue wanted to charge me. To be honest it’s a very poor show from Virgin, I hope that you get some resolution with your printer as it seems the only way to get it to work is to revert back to the old hub. 

Many thanks 

The only other device I've had a problem with is a work Dell laptop. I was using it on a daily basis with hubs 2 & 3 without problem. After switching to a Hub 5 I was unable to see the new hub amongst my available networks. Thankfully my employer had provided me with a backup laptop, a newer Dell, and this works fine with the Hub 5. I assumed that it was down to some sort of compatibility issue and I guess that I could have connected with to the hub with an ethernet cable if I wasn't fortunate enough to have the backup.

I later discovered the issue with the printer, as you describe, where the device was not being discovered after pressing the WPS button. That backed up my suspicion that it was a wifi issue with older devices but I was able to get around the problem, after a bit of messing about, by connecting to my iMac via USB. 

I don't know what the gadget rescue people would be able to do for the £50?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@waldojeffers wrote:

<snip>  I don't know what the gadget rescue people would be able to do for the £50?

Nothing perhaps?

Anyway, the wifi issues with the older devices IMHO is because you can't disable the ax protocol on the new Hub 5.  This is the newer wifi 6 protocol and it looks like some older devices will not work as they may be expecting the older b/g/n protocols.

The Hub 5 is still by invite only trials, so there are lots of things to iron out !

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Turns out that although able to scan, I can't print print via the USB connection.😕

@waldojeffers wrote:

Turns out that although able to scan, I can't print print via the USB connection.😕

The USB ports on the hubs have never been active

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I'm referring to connecting the printer to my iMac via USB, not to the Hub.

I also just tried using the HP Utility Wireless Setup Application. I'm able to see my network but it still fails, advising that my 'password was not accepted by the wireless network'. 

Hi 

My Apple Mac did the same it kept disconnecting and then when entering the password it said it was incorrect when it wasn’t. The only way to rectify that fault was to switch the hub on and off and connection would be restored. 
I have admitted defeat that the printer won’t work on the hub5, I’ve spent way too much time trying to resolve the issue I’ve given up and therefore Virgin will expect a few calls from disgruntled customers asking the same questions, I just hope they can find a way to overcome this for future customers. 

I Hope you are able to sort yours out!