Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New Hub 4 Problem

Help! Had the new hub 4 for a week now and the WiFi drops out all the time. Can’t even stream music via WiFi anymore without buffering etc. Wired I get over 100mb and sometimes WiFi I get 100mb but then it constantly drops to almost nothing. Anyone any ideas what I can do? I previously had the hub 3 with very few issues at all for years now. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Hub 4 Problem

What is your contracted speed ?

How far from the Hub is the device that is having the problems ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

100mb speed which I get wired from the hub. Issue is when it sends out the WiFi signal. Having problems all over the house, even in the same room to a google nest some 2 meters away! Do you think a basic WiFi booster would help? 
Incidentally I haven’t returned the old hub 3 yet so I’m thinking of just going back to that instead!   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you feel that it would do any good it would certainly be worth while.

But

They gave you a Hub 4 for a good reason, I don't know the reason but they wouldn't have done it for no reason.

If you stick with the Hub 4 and get your own more powerful Wi-Fi broadcasting equipment I doubt you will have any more problems.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Any recommendations on better WiFi broadcasting equipment? And I’m talking budget level really. Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisClough0299 wrote:

Any recommendations on better WiFi broadcasting equipment? And I’m talking budget level really. Thanks in advance 

There’s little point cheaping out on routers or a mesh.

You'll need to spend £100 minimum.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've had similar hub 4 problems. Why is get a new router (at your own expense) a good option? Given that we pay a lot of money for Virgin's equipment and service, shouldn't a new hub work effectively without costly extras? It would make more sense for Virgin to work on making hub 4 better, particularly as many people are saying that hub 3 didn't cause problems and hub 4 is meant to be an improvement on that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@GloriaP wrote:

I've had similar hub 4 problems. Why is get a new router (at your own expense) a good option? Given that we pay a lot of money for Virgin's equipment and service, shouldn't a new hub work effectively without costly extras? It would make more sense for Virgin to work on making hub 4 better, particularly as many people are saying that hub 3 didn't cause problems and hub 4 is meant to be an improvement on that.

You don’t pay for Wi-Fi though. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisClough0299 wrote:

As for recommendations, only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos