cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub 3 router dropping out

mjfhome99
Joining in

Hi, We had our Hub 3 replaced this week ( old one had red light - overheating issue ) but every day since we lose internet connection at least 3/4 times a day ! .. it restores itself after 10/15 miuntes but very annoying when trying to work !! please help / advise ??

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Was the old Hub3 working fine (despite the red light)?

Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

A pinhole reset wont do any harm...

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! With the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press the reset pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker so log in and change them back to what they were/should be.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mjfhome99 👋,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry you've been experiencing some issues with the service. 

I have ran some tests on your line and at the time of writing, have not been able to identify anything that may be amiss. 

How have things been over the weekend?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha,

This morning has been slighty better but still frezzing sometimes on video calls.

Done speedtest on Ethernet connected laptop and getting 75 Mbps and also on Wifi connected laptop which was 59Mbps. Not great when we should be 250 Mbps !! 

Perhaps you can suggest how we can fix this, before the replacement Router we never had these problems. Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @mjfhome99 

Have you tried a different ethernet cable direct from the hub to your laptop? Also try a different port.

You should also check the NIC card/adapter settings as that may have changed and no longer be set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex

Press the Windows key and type in Control Panel. Then open the Control panel and select Device Manager.

Under Network Adapters select your ethernet card (eg Realtek Family Controller) Then right click it and select the Properties option. In the box that opens select .Advanced and scroll down to Speed & Duplex.  Then on the right set the value to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.

It might also be a good idea to check your drivers are up to date under Network Adapters select your ethernet card (eg Realtek Family Controller) and right click it and select the Update Driver.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello mjfhome99.

Thank you for replying.

Sorry to hear the hub is still not working consistently with the connection and speeds.

Did the advice given by @newapollo help at all?

We are here to help and look forward to your update.

Gareth_L

Hello,

Carried out all checks advised on here and eleswhere last Thursday. Didn't have any problems on Friday ( 2nd ). however this morning it has dropped out 3 times. 9.30am/10.16 and 10.28.

All internet lost on laptops hard wired via ethernet and Wifi connections. Box seems to reboot itself and reconnects after 4/5 minutes.

Getting a bit fed up now.  !!!!

As I said never had a problem with previous box. Please advise or send someone out to sort.

Hi @mjfhome99 👋.

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. We would like to bring you in for a private message so that we can look into this further. Keep a look out for a private message in your envelope on the top right of your browser, or if you are using a mobile device it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina