Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New Flat Installation

I have just moved into a new flat and have been trying to set up Virgin BB. Having spoken to advisors they have said that I will have to wait around a week to get a visit to install. However, the flat is a new build and it has multiple Virgin boxes built into the wall suggesting that it is already set up for Virign wifi. Advisor on the phone suggested that the engineer would just turn up see this and give us a password for the box. Why do I have to wait over a week and pay £35 for a man to tell me something he could do in an email???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Flat Installation

engineers don't just "turn up and give you a password for the box" -that's just made up waffle.

i assume when you "boxes" built in to the wall you mean virgin branded wall sockets?
you would connect the hub to one of those sockets and then activate it - assuming the sockets are live, which you won't know until you connect the hub to it. if they are not live then the engineer needs to physically connect them to the network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

When you ordered were you not offered a "self install" option.
If not, it could be (as chenks says) that they knew the points are not active and hence the need for a techy install.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply. There are Virgin plug sockets below two other white boxes with Virgin branding. I would attach a photo but I am not at home. I have never seen anything like them before, but as it is a new build that clearly has a connection to Virgin, my guess would be that it is evidence of Wifi/fibre already being installed as part of the build and as a result imagined that they would just activated as there are Ethernet ports around the flat which must be connected to a central system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This would make sense yh. Advisors just incredibly unhelpful and sounded like they had no idea what was going on and therefore just given a generic response
0 Kudos