Menu
Max7613
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New Customer WiFi Nightmare!

Ugh. We had Virgin installed on Saturday, and our first day working from home made us regret that decision.

Two issues:

1. Wifi signal constantly dropping during meetings, etc. This happens both in the room where the router is positioned, and the upstairs office where I have a Netgear range extender. This appears to happen when connected to 2ghz & 5ghz 
  2. WiFi signal is..... rubbish in any room other than the room the modem is placed. We’re talking 25Mbps, when it should be somewhere around 500 (obvs, I know that it will drop the further from the router, but to drop to 5% of advertised speed 15 feet away surely isn’t right)

I have ordered a Netgear Nighthawk modem, so I hope that this solves the issue, but I’d be grateful on any tips or advice in the meantime!

thanks!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Customer WiFi Nightmare!

@Max7613 wrote:

Ugh. We had Virgin installed on Saturday, and our first day working from home made us regret that decision.

Two issues:

1. Wifi signal constantly dropping during meetings, etc. This happens both in the room where the router is positioned, and the upstairs office where I have a Netgear range extender. This appears to happen when connected to 2ghz & 5ghz 
  2. WiFi signal is..... rubbish in any room other than the room the modem is placed. We’re talking 25Mbps, when it should be somewhere around 500 (obvs, I know that it will drop the further from the router, but to drop to 5% of advertised speed 15 feet away surely isn’t right)

I have ordered a Netgear Nighthawk modem, so I hope that this solves the issue, but I’d be grateful on any tips or advice in the meantime!

thanks!

well, you've taken the first, and recommended, step to resolving the wifi issues - when the nighthawk arrives put the hub into modem mode and let the nighthawk do all the work - it should improve things significantly.

we'd usually recommend ensuring that the underlying connection is good before investing in your own router, but as you've taken that step already, you might as well wait till it arrives.. though you could start by creating a BQM, which takes 24h to get a decent dataset..

Max7613
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for the BQM tip - have set it up and will see what it shows. Fingers crossed for the Nighthawk!
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just connect it using this sequence

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.