Menu
MrJB73
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

New Customer - VMHub3 with x2 AirPort Extremes - Right setup?

Hi all,

Joining VM as a new customer. A little networking background. Wanted to get peoples thoughts please on this setup and that it is the right / preferred method to ensure all goes well??

I've made the image to best outline it - VM as router (no wifi) > APE Base (wifi and ethernet) > Bridge mode from APE Base to APE Extension. APE's responsible for WIFI.

Is it right to use the WAN ports as I have? Or best to use ethernets - colour coded if that helps!

Thanks in advance! 🙂 Happy to join the community....

https://ibb.co/BqfT1dY 

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 23.58.20.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MrJB73
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer - VMHub3 with x2 AirPort Extremes - Right setup?

Image uploaded!

https://ibb.co/BqfT1dY 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@MrJB73 wrote:

I've made the image to best outline it - VM as router (no wifi) > APE Base (wifi and ethernet) > Bridge mode from APE Base to APE Extension. APE's responsible for WIFI.

Is it right to use the WAN ports as I have? Or best to use ethernets - colour coded if that helps!

Looks OK to me.  There's various information on Apple and other forums - for example:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204616

As far as I know the 'WAN' ports on the Apple kit are much the same as 'Uplink' ports on switches.

If it turns out it doesn't work, move the cable on the right hand unit (in your drawing) to a 'LAN' port instead...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
MrJB73
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply! Setting up Saturday hopefully...

Did wonder that about the WAN port for the extender. I've got it in our current setup bridging via Wifi, but using a cable connection between them is going to allow the AC wifi strength, and it certainly won't be line of sight!

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Not knowing anything about APE's, but I would have thought the APE2 should be connected via LAN to LAN, and also given a fixed IP address outside the DHCP scope of APE1.

MrJB73
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why LAN to LAN? the WAN is the way to go no? 

They auto set the DHCP values so as to not knock each out apparently

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don’t know why you have APE1 in bridge mode, would be best in router mode with the VM Hub3 in modem mode. Do you actually need the WiFi on the VM Hub3? It will still be active unless you have turned it off. Also, as I run always in modem mode, I’m not sure that you can turn off the DHCP on the VM Hub3.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
MrJB73
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor - thanks for your message - I'm a bit confused - So you can run the VM Hub in modem mode, bypassing its wifi signal, and use the APE 1 as a router? I wouldn't have thought that was possible?

0 Kudos
Dark_Fiber
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Tudor is right. I have this set-up myself.

Hub3 in Modem mode (this turns off WiFi, NAT and so on).

AirPort Extreme 1 connected by wired ethernet and set as the router for the local network.

Not sure why you need the second AE if it's close enough for a wired ethernet link.

My present system has AE1 5th Gen and the AE2 6th Gen linked by WiFi. I just haven't got around to swapping them yet 🙂

MrJB73
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Dark_Fiber wrote:

Tudor is right. I have this set-up myself.

Hub3 in Modem mode (this turns off WiFi, NAT and so on).

AirPort Extreme 1 connected by wired ethernet and set as the router for the local network.

Not sure why you need the second AE if it's close enough for a wired ethernet link.

My present system has AE1 5th Gen and the AE2 6th Gen linked by WiFi. I just haven't got around to swapping them yet 🙂

Thank you! Dark Fibre - would you clarify for me then with this setup:

APE 1 (Base) set as router ("Connect using": PPPoe / DCHP / Static)?

**Second APE will be upstairs, two levels - 25m cat7 cable I reckon!

0 Kudos