Menu
Timmatt
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New Customer - Need some advice.

Hey all. 

I recently moved from Sky > Virgin (mainly for the internet speeds) and the switch happened on Friday (so less than 48hours old).

I've had a bit of a mixed experience so far with service so far.

Currently I have an open item with support in regards to the phone not working (IE can only make outgoing calls and not recieve incoming)

However, I was curious if someone could help me with some router / broadband questions.

1- Is there an event log on the router to show whats going on? So far today it seems the connection seems to be freezing or dropping or something. very annoying to watching something on a streaming service when it drops every so often (happening every 20-40 min at the moment)

2- I had paid for 200mb line, and until today it was doing that however, all speed tests show im getting a max of 50-60mb, however, I`m curious if there was a better way of check connection speed I`m getting (i know sometimes speed tests are a bit of a mixed bag).

3 - In regards to range of WIFI, is there anything that can be done to extend it? for some reason I`m seeing some pretty poor results.. IE. medium signal (on 5ghs) when about 5-7 meetings from the hub. Just a little surprised as the Sky router has no issues at all with this. So I`m curious if the device could be faulty? or if there is something i should check.

Any help would be grand 🙂

Thanks all and have a happy Sunday

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer - Need some advice.

You can log into hub by putting http://192.168.0.1 in a browser.
Virgin routers are not as good as sky for wifi.
Most on here get their own mesh sytem, router or access point
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There’s an event log but it probably won’t reveal much.

Try Speedtest with Ethernet to Samknows.

Do some WiFi housekeeping including using a analyser app, changing channels and make sure drivers are up to date.

Virgin hubs are not known for WiFi performance so look at getting own router 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Timmatt
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cool. thanks for that. Just curious - any recommendations of router?
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've got an Archer C7 by TP-Link

Been very happy with it! Easy to set up and manage and seems to have a good range for my house!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Timmatt wrote:

I'm using a D-Link 882 which has been fine - I ended up buying it as it was a 'used once' bargain on a well known auction site, cost me 40 quid inc. postage - I see some on sale today as 'unboxed' from other sellers for less than the new prices.

I also use a BT hub as an additional access point and Ethernet switch upstairs, connected via Ethernet - you may be able to use your old Sky router like that?  Have they taken it back?  If you're keeping it turn off the DHCP, set an appropriate IP address/range and connect it via Ethernet.

Choose a router based on your needs - they have different features such as parental controls which are valuable to some families.  At least get one with 1GHz Ethernet ports and AC wireless.

Wireless features included things like MIMO, band steering, beam forming and so on....

Larger properties can benefit from using a mesh network.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Timmatt wrote:

Anything other than the Hub ....   🙂

But seriously, I'll just agree with the previous posts, all good solid advice.  Any of the Superhubs/Hubs I've had from VM went straight to Modem mode (which is stable I must admit) as I've always used my own networking kit.

0 Kudos