cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network speed keeps falling to 1Mbps

tryingMyBest
On our wavelength

Hello!

Over the past week, my network speed has been falling throughout the day, from our packages 130Mbps to 1Mbps (and sometimes sub 1Mbps).

I have found that restarting the router fixes the issue, until later in the day / the next day when it happens again. I have found no correlation to what could cause this. It happens when one person is only using the network, when we are both using it, during the day, or evening, or while streaming a show.

This has been happening consistently now for a week. It happens on my wired connection to my desktop, as well as our WiFi devices (mobile phones/laptops). Only two people use this network, and between us, we only have a small number of devices that connect to the network (desktop PC, Macbook, iPhone, Samsung phone, smart TV and consoles).

With regards to troubleshooting: I have followed the advice on the Virgin Media website, turned off the router at the mains, checked connections etc, the router is in an open space and we haven't had issues at all for the 6 years of our service.

When on the testing section of the Virgin site, I can see that there are reported issues in my area (BL1 - Greater Manchester) - But each time I have run a test before today there have been no errors reported in my area. When connecting to the router's IP address, the diagnostic tool reports an error, but it doesn't really give me any information about it.

samknowsspeedtest.jpg

routerdiagnostics.jpg

I hope I have provided you all with enough information, if you need anything else, please just say and I'll get on it.

Have a great day! Cheers!

33 REPLIES 33

Client62
Legend

Call 0800 561 0061 for the latest local service issues.

This automated service is more up to date that the Check service status web links.

Thank you, I'll call that number - This issue has been happening for the past week, though, and I have confirmed with my neighbours who also use Virgin Media, and they haven't had any issues, especially the type of issue that I'm having.

Kind regards 🙂

Samknows Realspeed

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

Hello,

I carried this test out before making this post, you can see the screenshot in my first post of the full results. Everything appears normal, but my network is currently operating at a normal speed - I will run the test when the network speed drops again.

Kind regards

tryingMyBest
On our wavelength

The network speed has just dropped again - We weren't doing anything prior to this happening - It just comes out of the blue. Any ideas anyone?

samknowsspeedtestslow.jpg

Kind regards

I have tried going through the troubleshooting section of the website - And it has told me that there is an intermittent issue in my area, and to try again in 24 hours to book a technician - But this has been happening for a week and it's affecting my work 😞

virginMediaTroubleshoot.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What is the 0800 number reporting ?

Is this latest test on wifi or an ethernet connection?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey 🙂

All of the speed tests that I have posted here have been done on my desktop with a wired connection 

The 0800 number has reported that there are no faults in the area.

Kind regards.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - lets see the connection data - can you do this..

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. No need to log in - just click on the “Router Status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4/5) or top/right (SH’s) - of the Login page.

Then… Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts
Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.