Menu
joolsvern
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Network setup help

Hi all,

My current set up is HUB3 in the conservatory at the back of the house (3 up 3 down average sized house of solid brick)

The Hub3 is connected to a WD switch (also in the conservatory).

THE WD switch feeds PC, TV, Homeplugs, 1x Cat 6 cable that goes into the sons bedroom direct into his PC which isn't used that much and mainly for light gaming.

WiFi seems to drop a lot, connected on some devices but not others and just randomly seems to stop working.

I am considering a router (something easy like an ASUS) that I am planning on using in my sons room as it will be the center/side of the house giving great wifi upstairs where it's used the most.  This will be connected to the cat6 cable from the WD switch.

So my questions are:-

Does this look like a decent plan of action.

Any recommendations on the router - there are often 10-14 wireless devices connected at any one time, more and more of these gadgets are 5ghz so maybe triband??

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network setup help

I think a wireless access point is what you need. Just connect with Cat6 cable, plug in, set up and away you go. Not sure if they need connecting directly into the Hub or will work through a switch - someone else should comment.
Check the Ubiquiti range on Amazon, they are well regarded on here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
joolsvern
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does that work in addition to the superhub wifi or instead of. 

Additional point.

I actually get a decent signal off the hub even in the far end of the front bedroom (furest point away from it) but the actual reliability seems to be the issue.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@joolsvern wrote:

Does that work in addition to the superhub wifi or instead of. 

Additional point.

I actually get a decent signal off the hub even in the far end of the front bedroom (furest point away from it) but the actual reliability seems to be the issue.

in can work in addition or instead of, depends entirely how you choose to set it up.

0 Kudos
joolsvern
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So....

Can I use it via the WD switch

AND....

Can I run a ethernet cable from the AP to my son's PC or would I need to get a wireless card/stick for the PC.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A router is more convenient than an access point if the son wants to connect wired devices like games controller, laptop, etc.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
joolsvern
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Appreciating the replies but now I'm conflicted on AP or Router and still not any the wiser about the WD switch being in the "middle" of it.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You just run a cable from the switch to the router.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

WIFi signal strength seems to be your only problem, all the other equipment aims fine. Just get a good Wireless Access Point and plug it into your switch. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos