cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network cable unplugged but it never is!

wood296
On our wavelength

Having just spent a small fortune on a wireless Ring video doorbell/chime and wireless outside security camera ( camera not Ring). Both report weak WiFi signal and work intermittently. Have done speed checks etc and my front door/hallway  shows 3mbps. Dread to think what the outside camera  connection is!  So bought a wifi extender (TP-Link) plugged in next to front door this also works intermittently. Phoned virgin who are going to monitor my connection over the next 7 days. But after tests done by the agent I am ALWAYS told there is a network cable unplugged. This, in all my years with virgin media, approx 20, has NEVER been the case. So what is the real problem? Is 'network cable unplugged' just a catch all error?  I don't watch TV only Prime this is working fine and is in a room upstairs directly above my Hub 3.

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I get the "network cable unplugged" message on my wifi connected V6 TV box when the wifi connection drops for whatever reason.  Just indicates it is not connecting to the network stably.

I reckon the underlying issue is the poor wifi connectivity and poor smart wifi firmware.  I would say to connect anything that can be - on an ethernet cable,  That said you need to address the wifi issues - wifi extenders are a poor solution (IMHO) as they just extend an already poor signal - you need to solve the issue with better kit  See this for info....

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (are ethernet connected devices ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

Placement of Wi-Fi extender is critical, they need to be mid way between the Hub and the Camera. The extenders will be useless if it is located where the Hub's signal is poor or not available.