Menu
mss37448
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Network and WiFi

I recently upgraded to Gig 1 and now need to get hold of WiFi Pods as I have WiFi Blackouts upstairs. I rang the O800 number on the VM Site.  After 45 minutes I managed to get through to someone in the Helpdesk, who didn’t know that there was a difference between a WiFi Booster and a WiFi Pod, so she went to check.

Eventually, she came back and told me that the WiFi Pods were out of stock and that I should call back in the second week of February.  The Helpdesk do not have the ability to order the WiFi Pods, this can only be done by the Tech Team, who I were not available at the time.  The online Chat advisor/BOT referred me to the Virgin Media Connect App, which incidentally, does not work with Hub 4, so no chance of connecting to VM.

Other than cancelling my upgrade, or waiting endlessly on the phone, there does not seem to be another option.

Just hope someone from VM is reading these posts and is brave enough to reply or get back to me.

In the absence of the FORLORN hope, i will be calling VM to cancel the upgrade.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Network and WiFi

EDIT: Apologies I misread the post at first.

I would say that as they are free to you that they are worth hanging on for and try them (well they will only send you one out initially).

But if you want a quicker solution to wifi issues you could source your own good quality wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
mss37448
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thank you for your post and your advice.

Unfortunately, as my own sourced WiFi solutions did not work effectively or reliably, I opted for the Upgrade.  The only viable option at the time, before the upgrade, was to procure the Orbi WiFi 6 Router and Satellites, which is a massive cost outlay approaching £1000, hence I chose the cheaper option {you would think I would have learnt by now having been with Virgin Media for a long time.  Each Hub Change/Upgrade has been a nightmare, without fail).

Will call them again tomorrow and check if they will extend the “Change of Mind Period” beyond 14 Days, otherwise will have to cancel, as Mid February is way past the 14 Day Period.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@mss37448 wrote:

Hi John,

Thank you for your post and your advice.

Unfortunately, as my own sourced WiFi solutions did not work effectively or reliably, I opted for the Upgrade.  The only viable option at the time, before the upgrade, was to procure the Orbi WiFi 6 Router and Satellites, which is a massive cost outlay approaching £1000, hence I chose the cheaper option {you would think I would have learnt by now having been with Virgin Media for a long time.  Each Hub Change/Upgrade has been a nightmare, without fail).

Will call them again tomorrow and check if they will extend the “Change of Mind Period” beyond 14 Days, otherwise will have to cancel, as Mid February is way past the 14 Day Period.

Thanks again

The wifi-6 Orbi is a very expensive option.. there are plenty of other options at 1/2 the price that will almost certainly provide an equivalent, or very close to, service as the (IMHO) overpriced orbi. 

for £1000, you could buy a nice router, several nice access points, and have an electrician install CAT6e to wire it all up.. 

or you could buy a different wifi-6 mesh system for 1/3rd the price

The upgrade will increase your speed, but unlikely to improve the quality of the wireless signal in your house - the hub4 is as bad as the 3.. it's just that is supports docsis 3.1 instead of 3 🙂

That said - you do have the option of a free pod, so you may as well give that a go before you spend any more money.. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is little chance that they will extend the cooling off period and so you will have to pay the early exit fee.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

Out of interest what was the cheaper Wifi option that didn't work well for you?

As you were looking at Orbi's I am assuming that you only want the best 🙂

Does that mean Triband and wifi6? The best (and cheaper than Orbis) option I would say, would be to run ethernet cables from the Hub (or a to a switch - or to your own router) with one or two high quality wireless access points like the Ubiquiti ones.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Or... I just spotted this... see message 22 - might be of interest.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Virgin-Media-s-mesh-system-for-M600/td-p/45...

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
mss37448
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

The cheaper options were

1.  Devolo WiFi Repeaters
The installation caused a conflict, which meant the the Internet Access would drop and the only solution would be shutdown and restart the Router, almost every 15 Minutes. I returned the 
2. Devolo 1200 WiFi AC Adapters
I have a number of these devices installed in the house, however, the WiFi performance is very poor.  
My reason for considering the Orbi WiFi 6 solution was there seemed to be diminishing returns from just adding more devices and the optimum technical solution was to switch the VM Hub to Modem Mode and then get a reliable WFi Signal through the house. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ahhh yes wifi repeaters are a poor option.

Your last suggestion is the correct option - get rid of all the other kit nd use the Hub in modem mode with your own router and wireless equipment that best meets your needs for routing features, property size, wifi6, budget and if a Mesh - triband or not?

--------------------
John
--------------------