Menu
Highlighted
mogodon
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Network/Streaming Issues

Hi

I use my superhub 3 in modem mode with an Asus NT56U router and Netgear switch to connect to anything up to 15 devices via LAN and Wi-Fi.

Recently I've had streaming issues on Netflix and Amazon Prime (both via Tivo V6 app connected to LAN) and Netflix/Now TV via Roku connected to Wi-Fi.

It ranges from poor quality video (presumably app dropping resolution due to bandwidth available) to total cut out.

I'm also experiencing a lag when loading web pages on both LAN and Wi-fi connected devices.

If i check the amount of bandwidth in use as reported by my router while having problems streaming, it doesn't seem anywhere near problematic.

Restarting the devices, switch or router doesn't make any difference however restarting the superhub seems to sort it out for a while before issues reoccur.

I can always reach the router page but not the Superhub admin page when this is happening, so always have to manually restart it.

I'm trying to work out where the point of failure is in my network and I thought it best to start with the connection itself i.e. the Superhub.

I've posted a link to my router status/logs for 09/02 to present below. Can someone take a look and see if there's anything out of the ordinary please:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vThFZrA-bxauz6RV8-aKa6AdgPSjdyLw4XErP9FIDp1wXCUB079JL3DU...

Thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Andruser
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network/Streaming Issues

Logs confirm an unreliable connection, and channels 6 and 8 are reporting unacceptable uncorrected errors, even though the low error count on several channels indicates a relatively recent restart (as that resets the error counters).  Assuming you've made sure the connections between the hub and the coax wall socket are all secure and tightened up to finger tightness, there's not much you can do.

This will need forum staff to advise is there's an area fault that's to blame, and that would have a fault reference and fix date, but I suspect the channel-specific error problems may be unique to your line, and then it will need them to book a technician visit to fix it.  

I'd recommend avoiding calling the offshore "support" call centre - their track record is appalling.

Highlighted
mogodon
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. Yes the cabling is tight.

I've dealt with 150 offshore before and not had a satisfactory experience 

I've had to reboot the super hub twice today to get an acceptable service. At one point this afternoon I ran a speed test and my download was sub 0.5Mb/s. After reboot it was 179Mb/s!

Service was ok for around 3 hours and I've had to reboot again.

I think it has to be the hub given that a reboot solves it albeit briefly.

Hopefully an admin will see this and advise 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Andruser
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The reason a reboot temporarily fixes this is because after a reboot the hub has to renegotiate all 28 channels from scratch, and it keeps trying until it gets a fully working connection.  But that doesn't fix the underlying cause of WHY the hub is unable to maintain synchronisation, so the problem recurs, and that's what VM need to fix. 

Highlighted
mogodon
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I didn't realise that, although is does make sense.

It's just happened again, everything has ground to a hault and web pages crawling. Ran a speed test to check...

Issue OccursIssue Occurs

Rebooted the superhub and lo and behold, speeds are normal and everything is great in the world... temporarily..

Issue Clears on Hub RestartIssue Clears on Hub Restart

Think I will contact help on Twitter and ask them to take a look.

Thank you for your input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi mogodon,

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns, I'm really sorry that you've been having trouble maintaining a stable broadband connection.

Can I just check whether you've performed a basic reboot or a full factory reset using the pinhole? If you've not tried a full reset, this would definitely be worth a try to ensure all internal processes are refreshed. This helps to rule out any technical blips within the Hub's processing or functionality, sometimes it just needs a bit of a kick. Please bear in mind that this would revert any settings or passwords to their default and disconnect any wireless devices.

I haven't been able to identify any cause for concern in looking at your services from our end, although this may be due to the recent reboot as explained by Andruser. Most of the stats you've shared correlate with what I'm seeing here and all appear within spec. I appreciate that a couple of channels have run up high post-RS errors, so we'd certainly need to look to address this.

There's nothing on the wider network which would account for the symptoms you've described or the high post-RS count, so it would be really helpful if you're able to set up a BQM to monitor the connection to your modem. This should flag any anomalies and help to compare with our backend logs. If nothing indicates an issue further out into the network, we can certainly see whether a new hub would improve the situation.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mogodon
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael

I haven't actually tried a factory reset so I'll do that now.

If it doesn't make a difference I will run the BQM and let you know.

Thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ryan,

That's brilliant, thank you very much! Do let us know how this goes and we'll be more than happy to take another look for you if the fault persists.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mogodon
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Quick update:

Factory reset from Wednesday was looking good until about 10-15 mins ago when the connection went caput again. (Back down to sub 1Mb/s d/l)

My BQM chart was solid red and only now did I realise that you have to activate it the ping in the Hub's settings for it to work! As I can't get into the web interface I'll have to manually reboot the Hub, change the setting and let the BQM run until next time I get the issue.

Will post the results here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mogodon
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael

Still having issues since latest Factory reset. Below are the links to my BQMs:

Snapshot (17-18/02)
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c12664d00c48ad213f5c513c2b8b7c64ab...

Live Graph
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5820dee5ab3f49caedf5a2a3c0060e4946...

From the snapshot you can see when the latency and packet loss went through the roof. At those moments the connection comes all but unusuable except for the most basic of tasks.  I also took some speedtests during two of those incidents:

Glasgow: 17th Feb, 17.35Glasgow: 17th Feb, 17.35

Edinburgh: 17th Feb, 17.37Edinburgh: 17th Feb, 17.37

Edinburgh: 18th Feb, 10.42Edinburgh: 18th Feb, 10.42

Glasgow: 18th Feb, 10.43Glasgow: 18th Feb, 10.43

I can't give you up to date modem/router stats as the Superhub has been unreachable since at least 17.35 yesterday.

Superhub Admin Page: 18th Feb, 10.55Superhub Admin Page: 18th Feb, 10.55

Pinging the Superhub (192.168.100.1) and my router (192.168.0.1), i get the following:

Superhub + Router Ping: 18th Feb, 10.58Superhub + Router Ping: 18th Feb, 10.58

As you can see the Superhub times out whereas the Asus Router responds with no packet loss.

Can you advise my next course of action?

Regards

Ryan

0 Kudos