Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 21 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network Log

Thanks so much for the replys Guys    I will try what has been suggested   I saved this till last   My router is in a CUPBOARD !! I was assured this is all ok by the engineer and by a Virgin agent last week but I was told that I could move it myself if I want or pay for an engineer to move it !!  Even though their own video advises not to do this    I am still surprised at such low speeds that close to a router ( I had the doors open ) ! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 22 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Its always better in the "open" - particularly as the Hub3 has what might be best described as "poor" wifi to begin with.
Can you get it out of the cupboard and reconnect it up - in the open - even if just for a few hours and only move it sideways by the length of the cable - onto the floor? Just as an experiment to see if it helps at all.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 23 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi John  Very short cable length  Will have to get a extension cable from Amazon  I am still mystified as to why I can only get 20mb max right in front of the router !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 24 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Whatever you do... do not get a 3'd party extension cable from anywhere - it will only give you (and your neighbours) problems - as well as violating your T&C's
Either pay the £99 to get it properly re-sited or spend the money on your own decent wifi router that will have much more functionality, power and wifi connectability.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 25 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Good advice  Thank You  I wont go the Amazon route

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 26 of 30
Flag for a moderator

However I am now getting 4.8mb speed wireless  It cant be right  Can it ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 27 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Watch the ads for BT and they only guarantee 3Mbs so it isn't that bad really.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 28 of 30
Flag for a moderator

What speed do you get with an ethernet connection?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 29 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replys     Have not tried ethanet cable yet  but I still cannot believe that a wireless connection from two feet from a 200mb broadband speed will record a download with a high of 20mb and a low of 4mbps   Sorry I just cant get my head around this 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 30 of 30
Flag for a moderator

WiFi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring WiFi basically allsorts.

If you put your hub an dtesting device in a lead box you might get a reading that is more to your liking but as we all know we cannot put a wireless shield around our whole house.

Poor wifi is something we have to live with, accept it or bite the bullet and purchase a third party gigabit capable router.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos