cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Issue going from Hub 3 to Hub 4

BigFatPhil
Joining in

Greetings all,

Having joyfully received my new Hub 4 this afternoon, I then rather disconsonantly spent the rest of the day on the phone to vm failing to get it to work, so I thought I'd try the forum to see if anyone can help.

I connect one of the ethernet ports to my Cisco 2960L switch, and now all but one of the devices connected to the switch can not connect to the Internet.  The device that still works is a Systemline Netserver which provides radio streaming.  To clarify, the switch and all devices worked seamlessly with the Hub 3.

I've reset the Hub 4 and the network switch multiple times, all network ports and cables have been checked and swapped to double-check, so if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance..........Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You need to get a router the poorly coded hub thinks it should only see one source MAC on each port
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You need to get a router the poorly coded hub thinks it should only see one source MAC on each port

Alessandro,

Thanks very much for letting me know - you saved me a world of pain!  Your comment was further supported by the vm technical engineer who called me, who advised that modem mode for the hub 4 and an additional router was required to continue having connectivity to my network switch.  Why vm continue to ship hub 4s without advising customers in advance that there is a drop in functionality from a hub 3 to a hub 4 is beyond me, and pretty shocking behaviour.

Rant over, back to the old contract and thanks again for your help.......Phil

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @BigFatPhil, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you're having problems with your new Hub 4.

I appreciate that this issue has only occurred since your received your new Hub, but we do need to rule out any third party equipment set up issues.

Can you kindy put your Hub 4 back into router mode, and see if all of your other devices connect to the Hub's wifi but also via ethernet too?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the message but the Hub 4 has been sent back to vm, never to be seen again!!!  As Alessandro stated, there is a KNOWN issue with the hub 4 only seeing one MAC address per ethernet port, which was confirmed by the vm technical engineer (who also advised me that it was a known issue and that I need to buy an additional router if I want the Hub 4 to work with my network switch).

If you work for vm, please go and speak to the Hub 4 product manager and get vm to put a disclaimer somewhere on the vm website that advises customers moving up to the 1GB service that they must purchase an additional router to maintain connectivity with a network switch - I think it is madness that there is such a serious drop in functionality when you're supposed to be upgrading to the latest, better technology.  And not to warn people in advance is simply stupid - my CCTV and alarm, amongst other things, are connected to the switch so I couldn't have visibility of these when I was out of the house.

I don't use the WiFi from the vm hubs (Separate Ubiquity network).

Kind regards........Phil

I swear the firmware team push the limits of router mode needs to do to pass VM checks because let face it VM are not going to test a switch to the hub in router mode.

From what I've seen on this forum, do vm do any checks / tests before they release their hubs on their unsuspecting customers???!!!