Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Network Attack Letter

Hi.

I received an email the other day about a device using your internet conection may be infected with malware. Tels me to go to the VM website and use aprogram, which I did and then my PC crashed as teh software Virgin told me to use, Sophos saw it as a malware and it was ina  shut down program lop until I puled the power plug. The letter I have has a reference number, so it would be more helpful If I can get the MAC address of teh actual device that is suppose to have this issue? Is that possible?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Network Attack Letter

Hello

The internal MAC address is not visible outside of your own network, VM do not log these the only thing it will see is the external IP address, nothing inside of your network is stored on VMs systems.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK Thanks for the info. WIll just change WIFI password and see how that goes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi swanside,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you were affected by a possible malware attack.

Have you now managed to change the password and since have you had any further issues.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have not yet changed the wifi password as I have 23 other devices I need to get swapped. I wil make a new WIFI with a new SSID and password and swap my devices over. I tend to think it was caused by my daughrters phone, as when she visited the other day a few hours later I received an email before the leter arrived, so I need her to come again and see what happens

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

it would be quite peculiar for it to be a phone to be honest.
if it's an iphone then almost certainly not, if it's android then unlikely unless she has been installing apps from outside the app store.

it's more likely to be a laptop/pc or a false positive.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi swanside,

Thank you for coming back to us and for the update, I appreciate with so many devices there is a lot of swapping and changing to do, let us know how you get on and if you need any further help.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos