cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear router/extender not working with Hub 5.0

NChad
Joining in

Hi,

My Netgear (AC 1750 extender) router, connected by ethernet to my new Virgin media Hub 5.0, whilst showing it is connected, is not allowing internet traffic to my end devices.   

Do I have to change settings in my Hub 5.0 ?  

Do I have to change the Hub 5.0 from 'router' to 'modem' (and are there any other changes I need to make in the Hub ?).

Or do I have to make changes in my Netgear box ?

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think the ethernet connection is not used for linking the AC and the Hub.  This is done by wifi using the WPS button. 

The ethernet port is just an extension from the AC Link according  to the blurb, and not for linking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

the internet in (to the AC) requires an ethernet connection (the AC was previously connected to the Hub 3 - the previous version of the Virgin Media Hub - via ethernet cable. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hmm strange, the website suggests otherwise, unless the model I looked at was older/different?

If it's cabled, then I can't think of any reason for it not working?  Have you done a factory reset on the extender?  Is this unit the old "booster" that VM used to supply?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
what model Netgear you have?
---------------------------------------------------------------

AC 1750

Your extender does not have a DHCP server, so you must connect it to your hub which is in router mode and thus able to allocate IP addresses.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi - sorry it took a little time to come back on the Netgear model number  -AC1750  it is R6 350 

thanks

As you have the R6350 you should put the hub into modem mode, connect it to the R6350's WAN port and configure the R6350's Internet settings as follows:

Internet IP Address radio button:
Get Dynamically from ISP.

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address radio button:
Get Automatically from ISP.

MAC Address radio button:
Use Default Address.

Now reboot the R6350 so that it get its WAN IP address and you should get broadband and WiFi from the R6350.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Many thanks for this - much appreciated Roger. N