cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear connection to hub 5

Binrut
Joining in

I have just bought a netgear switch Gs308v so I can connect my computer and additional virgin set top box via ethernet cable in another room. The hub 5 is connected to one set top box and I have a ethernet cable to another room connected to the switch for an additional box and computer. The computer connection works fine but data transfer drops out after 5-10 min on the set top box but the netgear switch shows a steady green light so still connected. It will work if I turn it off and on but again no data transfer after 5-10 min. I have a cable direct from my virgin hub 5 F3896LG direct to the switch. If I connect this cable without going through the switch the box it'll work fine. Do I need to reset something on the router. Ps I do not have a massive knowledge when it comes to stuff like this so might need to keep it simple. 

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Buy a router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Odd!    When you say "additional virgin set top box" - what exactly are they?  TV boxes? If so are the TiVo, V6, 360, or something else?  And what is actually dropping on it whilst the computer remains stably connected?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It was another 360 box which I know I could connect by wifi but figured ethernet would be better. It was the whole ethernet connection, I just got the opps your not connected and the ethernet connection showed no connection on the settings. I have since tried a TP link SG108S which has connected and had no further issues so returned the netgear back as faulty but all the ports worked so maybe just how it connects? Thanks for replying.