Menu
Stanl
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Netgear Nighthawk AX8

I've had a few issues with my superhub 3 and after checking with Netgear I purchased the AX8 as they said it would work with Virgin's Superhub 3.

So nice and simple set up according to what I read on the VM community.

Turn Superhub 3 into modem mode, connect ethernet cable to LAN on superhub and internet port on nighthawk turn on Nighthawk and use app from Netgear to set up AX8 what could be simpler?

Followed instructions, the app detected the router but would not connect to the internet, rebooted Superhub and router still absolutely no luck.

Rang Virgin Helpline and was told that it is impossible to connect the Superhub 3 to ANY Netgear Wifi Router in modem mode even though there are articles on the community explaining exactly how to do it ?????

Either the AX8 is faulty or I am doing something wrong because I have failed to get the 2 to connect to each other.

Can anyone help me please.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AX8

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 3 then power off the Hub3.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialized (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub 3.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Stanl wrote:

Rang Virgin Helpline and was told that it is impossible to connect the Superhub 3 to ANY Netgear Wifi Router in modem mode even though there are articles on the community explaining exactly how to do it ?????

Makes you ask question to them what is modem mode for then? 

If the post above don't work connect only a PC to the hub and go to modem mode (unpulg repulg Ethernet) till you have internet then connect the PC to the Nighthawk login go to WAN settings and use the clone option to copy your PC MAC to the Nighthawk then connect the Nighthawk to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Stanl
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Apologies because I’m no expert but in the nighthawk settings there is a WAN setup and LAN setup.

The WAN doesn’t mention DHCP at all but the LAN has use router as DHCP checked

I also found a setting for IPv6 Domain Name Server (DNS) Address and set this to ‘DHCP’ and ‘Get Automatically from ISP’

Am I on the right track?

I hope 

0 Kudos
Stanl
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All working now thanks for the help.

whatever I did to the settings it worked just fine.

0 Kudos
Desert_Eagle365
Settling in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I am also trying to set up a Netgear router (while putting my Virgin Hun into model mode) and I’m struggling to find how to change the WAN settings to DCHP.

Could you please confirm how you got it to work. Many thanks!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As per above...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Desert_Eagle365,

Have you been able to get your issue resolved?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos