Menu
ellisb51
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Netflix

I have an issue with Netflix not displaying the correct programs (very much like I’m opening it not from the U.K.) although I am not and never have used a VPN. It happens for all devices on WiFi (and for a neighbour also on Virgin).
Using mobile data on phone brings up the correct ‘U.K.’ version and all my watching history, so this is clearly a Virgin issue.

Netflix contact team say nothing to do with them (which I can understand)

Virgin say nothing to do with them and they will apparently contact the ‘broadcaster’ I.e. Netflix within 7-14 days. 
what good is this to me?

any ideas?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix

Search google for “what is my IP”.

Then do a lookup for that IP at this site. What country does it say the IP is from? 

0 Kudos
ellisb51
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Already done, U.K.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

this is a netflix issue.

You are in the UK. you have a Virgin media IP address.
IP addresses have no locations so whatever third-party database Netflix is using is wrong.
So its a Netflix problem

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ellisb51 wrote:

Already done, U.K.

Kinda seems like more of a Netflix problem than a VM one then... assuming your Netflix account itself is set to UK, which based on the fact that it works fine on 4G seems like it would be..

Its not VMs systems that are making the decision about what to present to you when you log into Netflix, and VM has the geolocation set correctly... 

0 Kudos
ellisb51
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It’s just that it’s only happening for me. We have 5 different profiles on it and no one else has any issues.

And contacting Netflix got me nowhere they pretty just said ISP and that’s it. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ellisb51 wrote:

It’s just that it’s only happening for me. We have 5 different profiles on it and no one else has any issues.

Even more a Netflix problem then... if the other profiles are presenting what they should be, and they’re coming out of the same IP address, this has nothing to do with VM.

netflix fobbed you off.

0 Kudos
ellisb51
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@tehwolf wrote:

@ellisb51 wrote:

Even more a Netflix problem then... if the other profiles are presenting what they should be, and they’re coming out of the same IP address, this has nothing to do with VM.

netflix fobbed you off.

They are not the same IP address. That’s my issue.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Either way, the problem lies with Netflix, not VM.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

See the Netflix help page;

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/26100

You’re already at step 4 (check again on RIPE.net if you want).  You’ve found that the IP address is correct as ‘UK’ so contact Netflix as they show to do and explain that to them;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos