Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Netflix

Hello there virgin community, been having a quick look through the forums and wanted to ask a question regarding a problem I’m experiencing.

Netflix works on my pc which is wired. It’s also slow on my LG smart TVs which is wired

iPhones iPads using wi-fi on my Asus RT-AC88U connected to home hub 3 in modem mode will not connect or play any content. However when I connect to Sky broadband they do. (I have old contract in as it’s cheaper and don’t use it) no problems I’ve spoken to Netflix and got no where have reset all network settings on the devices deleted apps reinstalled and still no luck the other streaming services are fine I’m at my wits end if any one has any suggestions  I’ve also put suber hub back to default same issue.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix

Have you disabled websafe?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah web safe is off and I’ve ruled out the ASUS router as I’ve connected that to sky as well all Ok apart from speed lol

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Where are the pc and tv wired to? The virgin hub? Or to the ASUS router wired to the virgin hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just the ASUS router then wired to the hub
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So it’s not the virgin network blocking it otherwise it wouldn’t work on those devices.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've been tearing my hair out over this for the last week or so too..

I think that there are issues with the VM hosted Netflix Content Delivery servers.. specifically, I am unable to talk to 81.100.3.0 or 62.252.5.21, both of which are Virgin Media owned IP addresses, and the latter is a Netflix content delivery server in the VM network... (aztw-netflix-cdn-03.network.virginmedia.net.)

I am able to use Netflix from PC, FireTV etc.. but when I try from an iOS device it doesn't work.

I'm no expert at reading packet captures, but I can see my iOS devices attempting to talk to both of these IP addresses and failing to get a response.

from *outside* the VM network, I am able to get a connection to both of these addresses on port 443 (which is what my Netflix App is trying to do) but from my VM connection I get nothing. 

I have no desire to speak with VM support on this topic though... I have no confidence that i'd ever get through to someone who was able to do any sort of meaningful troubleshooting.. 

Edit: it's worth adding that the devices that do work, are being served by different CDN nodes (62.252.5.25, for example, seems to work absolutely fine..)

On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Tomin

You may find that forcing Virgin to issue you with a new IP address resolves the issue.. The only way I know of doing this is to connect a different router and / or change the MAC address of your current one. The VM DHCP servers will not have a cached lease against the new MAC address and will therefore simply issue you with a "new" address.

In your ASUS router management pages, on the WAN page near the bottom, you should see an option to "Clone MAC address". There should be a couple of options, either hit the Clone button, which will copy the MAC address from whatever device you are accessing the Asus router management pages with onto the WAN interface's ethernet port, or it will allow you to enter your own randomly generated one (google..) into the input field.. My preference is probably the latter, but either should be fine. Once you've done this, hit save.

You will now need to power off both the Hub and your ASUS device, leave it off for a couple of mins then switch the Hub back on, leave for a few mins (until fully booted), then switch on your ASUS router.

verify that you've been issued a different address and test whether or not netflix has started working..

No guarantee that this will work since it seems there are gremlins in the VM network and you may be issued with a different IP address that has the same problems.. but it worked for me.

Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wow I’ve done a clone MAC address as I couldn’t get random ones off google to work and it looks like it’s solved the problem I think thank you so very very much 👍🏽

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No problem, glad it worked. it was annoying the hell out of me too 😉

If you want to, you can revert the change in a few days it should issue you a new address again and you can get rid of that cloned setting to put everything back to “standard”.... or you can just leave it as it. Shouldn’t impact anything...