Menu
Highlighted
pjw1806
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Netflix - "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy"

I am suddenly unable to view Netflix on my virgin media set top box or Xbox One.   I get an error message stating "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.  Please turn off any of these services and tray again."

I have done nothing at my end to cause this problem.   Watched Netflix Wednesday night no problem.  Turned it on Thursday night and got the above error message which has remained since.

I have telephoned Netflix who state it has nothing to do with them.

I have telephoned Virgin Media who also say it is nothing to do with them.

I can view Netflix using my phone data but not via the wifi.

Anyone else encountered this problem?   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix - "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy"

it has everything to do with Netflix.
Netflix have identified your IP address as running a proxy or VPN. its them that need to update there system to remove that record.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Ptolemaeus
Dialled in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sadly I'm pretty sure it has to do with the way your traffic is being routed. A lot of people have issues watching the BBC for instance even though they don't use a VPN or proxy (or even know what it is). I would mostly blame Netflix for this one though. Have they told you anything useful at all? Like specifically why they were blocking your access? Or did they just give you some generic excuse?

If anyone has a solution to this problem, please let me know since I never found one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

VM and Netflix neither want to take the blame in their mind every thing works nothing is broken...but this may likely be a Netflix issue...

can you run fast.com ?

The only fix is to change IP which is not easy unless you use modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

website do not know the routing of a connection. All they know is the IP address the request came from.
The route can change even between the incoming requests and returned data.

T

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ptolemaeus
Dialled in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

You're right, but they can at least check what's the DNS server they're using, against their IP. Could be that it's too "different" and thus why Netflix believes they're using a proxy. Otherwise I don't know why their IP would be blocked. This is an issue a bunch of people encounter, mostly because of BBC and I'm wondering if there's a simple solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

the server can never know what DNS server you are using. that is done at the client PC and the full connection is then completed using the IP address. you can use any dns. local DNS, local host file or the IP directly to reach a server and the server has no way to know how you got the ip address 🙂

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ptolemaeus
Dialled in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure about your claim? Because I've read a lot of documentation online saying the opposite. As a matter of fact, if I was to search about VPNs and Netflix, I'm sure it would be stated in most articles out there. However, it does seem like the Netflix (android/iOS) app has been forcing users to use Google's DNS servers for the past few years. But if you're saying that it's impossible and that everyone else's wrong I'm ready to believe you.

This being said, if the DNS server isn't related, why else isn't it working?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

i am sure. there is no way for an end server to know what DNS you are using

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

A lot of content that streaming services offer are location restricted due to broadcasting rights.

To overcome this, a lot of users started to use VPNs or proxies physically located in the country where the content they wanted to view was allowed to overcome the ban. Content providers like Netflix became wise to this exploit and banned VPNs and proxies

Netflix started to hardcode Google's DNS servers into their App to prevent custom split DNS servers circumnavigating location restrictions as Netflix will have no idea what DNS server was used as Apcyberax says. So, they have to enforce a DNS server to eliminate the possibility of a custom DNS server with fraudulent  information.

If the OP is still getting the error message and they are positive that a VPN or proxy is being used, then there is an error in Netflix's VPN IP range database, which Netflix should remedy.