Menu
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 1 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Netflix buffer getting stuck at 25%

I am experiencing an issue across multiple devices, started on my smart TV Netflix app about a month ago and now does the same thing on my ps4 and all Android devices where you go to load a video and it gets up to 25% then just freezes until you get a message about not having an Internet connection. The same thing even happens straight after watching something and it tries to automatically play the next episode. I read somewhere is to do with DNS. I've checked the bandwidth at the time of the issue and there has always been enough. This never used to happen even when the bandwidth has been terrible so it's got to be something else. Also it makes no difference whether the devices are connected via ethernet or wireless.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix buffer getting stuck at 25%

I have not experienced it myself on my PS4 and most of the people posting here get this with the Tivo app, so I was thinking that this was a Tivo issue. If you Google "Netflix buffer getting stuck at 25%" you will get a lot of hits from all over the world, on all sorts of devices, so this is clearly a common Netflix issue.

Signing out of Netflix on each device and signing back in is the most common suggestion to "fix" it.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 3 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Have you tested Netflix by wire on a PC?

0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 4 of 107
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972, if it is a Netflix issue then why can you not find it on Netflix support, if it is so common? The fact that it worked fine on all devices and now doesn't tells me it's the circuit connection.
I haven't tested pc yet but will do tomorrow. I will also set up a hotspot on my phone and connect the ps4 to that and test it.
0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 5 of 107
Flag for a moderator

I have just tested it using my phone as a hotspot, videos load fine. Reverting back to home network and restarting the app, buffer freezes at 25%.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Hi lenny81,

Full sympathy for the video buffering problems, there are few things more annoying (in relation to video viewing that is).

I see that you have already been notified about a peak time capacity issue affecting your connection on your other thread here.

It's entirely possible that the same issue is causing the buffer problem, especially if viewing is fine at earlier times of the day. Please let us know whether or not this is the case - if not we'll look into this further for you.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 7 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Thanks for getting back to me, as previously mentioned, I tend to have the issue regardless of whether I am achieving full bandwidth or a fraction. I never experienced this problem before, it only started around the beginning of February.
0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 8 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Bump.

Is anyone looking in to this at all please?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 107
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lenny81,

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this.

Could you now try the hub in modem mode with a PC in safe mode with networking and see if you still get the same problem. This set up will narrow down the possible causes by ruling out other devices on the network, background software on the PC, wireless and the hubs router functions.

If you could do this at an off peak time too to avoid any over lap from the peak time fault Jen mention that would also help.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
lenny81
Dialled in
Message 10 of 107
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, my pc is the only device that doesn't have issues (when I tested it as I never use it for Netflix). Netflix themselves are of no help at all. Thanks for your time though.
0 Kudos