Menu
mickwads
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Nest camera off line due to hub 3 switching

I have just upgraded to a hub 3 router and my nest outdoor camera keeps showing as offline. I am pretty sure that it is because the hub 3 router keeps trying to switch it to 5Ghz band. The nest camera doesn't work on the 5Ghz band unless you are in the USA or Mexico. How can I stop the router switching it ? 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nest camera off line due to hub 3 switching

you could split the SSID that the hub broadcasts into two - one for 2.4 and one for 5ghz.

find the settings page in the advanced section of the hubs admin pages - rename the SSIDs so that they are different, then connect the nest cam to the 2.4ghz SSID. 

mickwads
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

I managed to do that but it still loses connectivity for a couple of minutes 2 or 3 times an hour. It must be something else causing it. Never had any problems when we had the hub 2 so not sure why it's happening now. Everything is in the same locations. Any ideas? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@mickwads wrote:

Any ideas? 

Only that the hub is a necessary evil. 

You have to have one to terminate the cable connection, but you can use it as a modem and buy your own wifi router/mesh - this usually cures all wifi ills (assuming that the underlying connection is good/stable). 

0 Kudos
Sid70
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That is what I had to do as I also have a Nest outdoor camera. It used to spend more time offline than on. The set up I have is to use the Superhub in Modem Mode and a third party router handling wifi and internet. I'm not tech savy but following advice from JBrennand, on these forums, I was able to set it up. It now works very well,for the first time.

Good luck.

mickwads
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input. I'm glad you got yours working. A security camera that is offline all the time is pretty pointless. 

I'm quite disappointed that I have upgraded to what is supposed to be a better hub and it seems like I will have to spend money on a third party piece of kit. The hub 2 did the job perfectly.  The camera is only about 2 meters away crazy! Which router did you get?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Take a look at a Mesh system - the TP-Link Deco M4 or M5 or M9 are well regarded on here - depending on the size of your property/budget etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Sid70
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Morning. I bought a Nest Wifi Router and used it as an access point. This didn't increase the wifi range enough even though it was only approx. 3 metres away from the outdoor camera. I tried to put the Superhub 2 into Modem Mode but couldn't get this to work. I read reviews of routers and the TP LInk C4000 got good reviews. I bought it from Ebuyer as they had stock, price was the cheapest, also free next day delivery. Amazon sells them also but at the time didn't have stock. I must say that Assus routers get good reviews on here but I have no first hand experience of them. The TP Link works a treat and has, so far, been faultless and I can highly recommend it.

I wanted to upgrade the Superhub 2 to 3 but  the good JBrennand advised me against this. He also helped me to follow the correct sequence for connecting the TP Link to the Superhub using the TP Link as the router. I had tried to use the TP Link as an access point but it wasn't very good.

Best of luck to you.

mickwads
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I will have to do some research 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@mickwads wrote:

Thank you. I will have to do some research 

as well as splitting the bands have you turned off smart wifi - you may also want to set the channel to a fixed channel rather than auto

Tony
0 Kudos