cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to update outbound firewall for 3rd party software

AliRoo
Tuning in

Hi all

I use an internet-based phone system. They're making their platform more secure and I need to update my outbound firewalls to access it.

The change required is a range of IP addresses and "all TCP and UDP ports within this range".

I'm assured that "The entire IP ranges can be trusted to only host Gamma UCaaS and voice services and therefore it is safe to open the specified ports for this IP address range. "

My IT provider has been worse than useless in helping me do this 🤦‍♀️ and whilst I have a little more knowledge than the average person, this is well above my level!

Can anyone help me & give me some guidance about what to do?

I have hub 3 set on modem mode, with a Deco wifi mesh.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

sophist
Trouble shooter

by default, the deco doesn't block any outbound traffic - that is traffic that originates in your LAN with a destination of outside of your LAN (i.e. anywhere else).

is the system not working at all?

Thanks for your reply.

The updates take effect tomorrow. They'll result in delays. I had 10 days notice from my IT provider & have been waiting on them to provide anything useful other than the same information from their original email pasted into the ticket updates!

The only useful thing they've told me so far is that it will be the VM firewall that will need to be updated.

I don't believe it's urgent, I just want to get it sorted!

sophist
Trouble shooter

ah - ok i think i understand..

your supplier has said something like "we're updating our service and you will need to ensure that your firewall allows traffic to these ip ranges <insert lots of numbers>

In many corporate environments, traffic flow has to be explicitly allowed, that is to say, everything is locked down by default and in order to allow traffic to flow to certain places, rules have to be created to enable it.

Unless you have spent time configuring your deco like this then you'll probably find that everything just continues to work when your supplier makes their changes.. the deco allows all traffic out by default, so when the change kicks in tomorrow it'll just send the traffic to the new addresses rather than the current ones..

Thank you!

My IT provider was telling me changes were needed via Virgin Media. They're supposed to be able to help small businesses with a home set up but from their ticket responses, I got the feeling they were more used to helping larger businesses with an IT dept!

Your answers really helped.