cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

We use a Unifi wireless access point to give better coverage around the far reaches of the house and this AP is wired into the router and when internet goes down all the devices connected via this access point also fail to have internet. So I would yes, wired connections are also affected. 

Hi @DJayH,

Thank you for getting back to us and confirming.

Have you performed a factory reset of the router yet to see if that helps alleviate matters at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Yes. 

Thanks for letting us know DjayH, I've arranged for a tech to come out tomorrow afternoon between 12pm and 4pm. Please let us know if there are any individuals shielding in the property at the moment? Or if that isn't a convenient time for you I can look to reschedule it.

Please be aware this was the earliest appointment and if moved will delay the visit.

Rob

Tomorrow works fine for me. Thanks for sorting.  

I have the exact same issue as yourself, same nighthawk router too, although it's been working fine for over a year with virgin hub 3 in modem mode, its just over the last 4 or 5 month where the problems have started! Whats going on virgin! I've rang numerous times and done many factory resets. 

Hi @Roosterlee85,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your service. I have taken a look at your account and have not been able to find any issues. 

Please can you set up a BQM so we can monitor things for you? 

A BQM is a “Broadband Quality Monitor” and it continually monitors the state of your connection and records any network dropouts.  It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of your connection. 

We advise to keep it running for around 24-48 hours to gather enough data. You can then post a link to your live BQM on this thread and we can check for any disconnections or drop out you're experiencing.

Thank you

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Rossevs
Tuning in

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this I’m having exact same issue.

been with virgin for years but calling tomorrow to cancel 

fed up with getting the same answer “saying it should be ok now”

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rossevs please raise a new post. This one is very old and may on the surface be the same as you are experiencing, but the cause could be totally different. Please give as much detail of the problem as possible and if it affects both WiFi and Ethernet connected devices.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Yeah mine got fixed. 

Turned out there was a kink in the coaxial cable on the outside of my house in between the wall box and where the cable enters my property.  It was spotted by the engineer and he cut the bad part of the  cable away and coupled it together again. Has been pretty robust ever since.