Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Need to increase range of my Virgin Media broadband

Hi everyone,

Well I may start off with a bit of a moan as I need to get it off my chest. Have been a Virgin Media customer for years. Thought I'd try and get in touch with them to talk about increasing the range of my wifi in the house. I have not been able to get in touch with a human for love nor money. I'd love to be able to do this online so tried to log in but none of my account details work, thought I'd have a go at registering and none of my account details are recognized there either. Tried calling and was taken through so many automated menus I basically gave up after 5 minutes. 

Okay sorry - rant over. Here's the issue I am experiencing. I set up a home office in a room in my house and I have realized that whilst the wifi signal does reach there it is really patchy and calls occasionally drop - that sort of thing. If I step just outside the room I can see the wifi signal improves. I did buy a booster online but sadly the wi-fi quality is about as bad on that as it is on the main wi-fi (I did some research after the event and people seem to think this would be the case as the booster has to split its time between talking to the modem and the equipment linked to it). So I'd like to explore my options for getting the signal to improve in this room (which by my admission is at the top of the house but I don't think it's 50m out of the range of the modem). Here are two things I'm thinking of after reading these forums - could I ask if either of these ideas has legs? (Oh ps I have the superhub 3)

1)  There is a Virgin Media access point (the phone line bit I think?) in this room as well as the one downstairs plugged into the modem. Can I just buy a moden online and plug it directly into this cable? That would be my preferred solution if it'll work?

2) Can I buy a third party modem online ( I see people like the Asus solution) and pick up the virgin media signal from that to boost it upstairs without compromising quality of the signal?

Thanks all. 

Caz

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to increase range of my Virgin Media broadband

1. No

2. Yes. Or a mesh system. Or you have the ability to, run a cable from the hub to a point midway and install a wireless access point. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you have gone to the trouble of setting up a "home office", you really need to get an ethernet cable from the hub to that room. Don't forget you can run ethernet externally, so take that into consideration when planning a cable route. The maximum cable length is 100 metres btw.  Once you get a cable into the office, you can add an unmanaged switch and a proper wireless Access Point. 

Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both. After some consideration I might get the Asus router and try and put that closer to the office. However I was curious about your suggestion Adduxi for "an unmanaged switch and a proper wireless Access Point. " I'm not sure what that would entail if I'm honest! 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your Local Area Network (LAN) would look something like this ...

hub-to-office

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Or a WAP (or router in bridge) with GB ethernet ports like the ones below.
Pro: just one box to power - will be cheaper
Con: if one part fails the other is redundant

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

https://www.alza.co.uk/zyxel-nbg6615-d5481208.htm?o=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think Mike has done a sterling job with the drawing ! 

The other point I was making is really to think outside the box and see if you can cable externally?  I recently did a similar job in my son's house, where I ran a cable out through the same entry as the VM cable, up the outside wall into the roof space, and down into one of the upstairs rooms.  I also ran a cable from the room back up into the roof space and fitted a wifi Access Point on the ceiling. No more wifi black spots upstairs. They also now have additional ethernet points in that bedroom for consoles, TV's etc.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Agree - our 1930's semi has those "waffle" like airbricks which are great for passing cables through their holes to the outside 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I love the drawing! My problem was that I just wanted a bit of clarity on what a switch is (I mean I know the English language use of the word but I assume you are reffing to a specific bit of kit here?) and access point (would that be a router or a modem or something completely different?) There's lots of different networking terminology I've  learnt over the last few days - I'm still trying to separate them all out in my head 🙂  

The solution I have gone with (arriving today so I'll let you know if I'm successful!) is a powerline adapter. Running a cable up though the house would be quite a big task and the powerline solution seems like a good starting point as it's relatively minimal effort but of the people I have spoken to it seems to have a high level of success. 

Thanks for he help so far everyone. Oh and if anyone has any tips on how to get to speak to a human being at virgin media I'm all ears 🙂

Best

Caz

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Powerlines will only work if the two points are on the same connected circuits - are yours?  Attic/garage/shed conversions etc., are often wired up independently by eleccys

We have 1 pair of high quality (~£80) powerlines and they work just fine for my lads gaming equipment on ethernet connections - but they are on the same circuit (i.e. connected through the same fuse box/consumer unit) and free of noise.  Try yours if they dont work send them back for a refund and use one of the better solutions mentioned 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos