Menu
leilash2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Need to disable wifi

Hi,

I am trying to turn off wifi on my hub 3. I have gone to the setting, wireless signal and clicked both disable 2.5GHz and disable 5GHz. It works for a while. But then it automatically enables wifi again. I notice it because my mobile connects to the wifi.

Can you tell me how I can have the control over it and decide when I want wifi and when I don´t want it?

I know one solution is to put it in modem mode and buy a router. But why should I pay for an extra router? Virgin should give me the option of turning wifi off when I want to.

Hope you can solve this problem

Leila

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
paultechy
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to disable wifi

to check when turning them off are you pressing save?
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-turn-off-wireless#hub3orhub4

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
leilash2000
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes I do, and it disables them as I don't get wifi on my mobile after that, but just for a while. After a while it comes back which is annoying. 

For your information I already have smart wifi off. 

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

theres a few threads saying the same and on testing a spare hub3 mine did the same - it was actually showing as off in te UI but i could still see the wifi network ssid's so assumed it would work if i had internet connection on the hub - as i said its a spare as i am on a hub4

i guess its a bug in the latest firmware or something to do with the pods - apart from modem mode i cannot see a way to get round it 

Tony
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

any reason you are turning it off?
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM like to override your settings it will not get fixed any time soon I say about a year before its fixed or they remove the option to disable wifi because they want public wifi to work and their pods which I give them a year before VM stops doing them as too many people want them for free.

Stick it to VM and use modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Some people don’t want WiFi due to anxiety over radio waves or for security reasons.

The only way to be sure to have no WiFi is to put the hub in modem mode and use a wires only router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

there are no risks of wifi
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

Well give that their are reports of hub making WiFi a open network or the hub doing a reset by its self to defaults is a bit of a risk.  

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well give that their are reports of hub making WiFi a open network or the hub doing a reset by its self to defaults is a bit of a risk.  

what harm do you see if the hub resets itself - it will still be protected and i guess you are deliberately missing the point - i dont think the OP or AP were talking about wifi access

Tony
0 Kudos