Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Need to boost signal

Hello, 

I need to boost my wifi signal into another room where there are a few people working from home. Currently, the Virgin router is too weak to reach them (it's about 4 meters). We've tried the following already:

- Having a new router installed. 

- Splitting the channels to have two connections, 2.4 and 5. 

- Using a plug socket booster. 

Would it be possible to run an ethernet cable from the router into the kitchen, which then uses an ethernet splitter which can then go directly into each device? Or an ethernet that runs into another router to boost the signal directly into that room? 

Also, would using an ethernet cable take available bandwidth from other devices that are connected wirelessly? 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Need to boost signal

You can run an ethernet cable and install a wireless access point with the cable connected to where you need it to be

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Would it be possible to run an ethernet cable from the router into the kitchen, which then uses an ethernet splitter which can then go directly into each device? 

if you want all devices wired then yes to your question - the ethernet splitter is a switch - many different makes - 4 port - 8 port or more

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - would this do the job?

Is there anything to consider? e.g. would it connect to a Virgin router 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA901N-Wireless-Injector-Ethernet/dp/B087MSF7BR/ref=sr_1_3?_enco...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It will work, yes, but it's only Wireless "N" meaning it will only broadcast the slower 2.4Ghz band.

Ideally you would want one that does the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

no thats not what you need if you are happy with just lan connections in the kitchen - you need something like this - usually plenty on ebay

https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/switches/home-ethernet-switches/default.aspx

if you want wifi or wifi and lan in the kitchen thats a different matter

re the post above - i did not look hard at whatyou asked about but i saw POE - power over internet - thats not a good choice 

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah cool I see, thanks. WiFi alone is fine don't need Lan connection as well. 

Guessing the below would work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/ref=sr_1_4?dch...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Reading into the details it seems like the router below will work. Do I need anything else other than an ethernet cable to go from the virgin router into this one? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@c372hsh wrote:

Reading into the details it seems like the router below will work. Do I need anything else other than an ethernet cable to go from the virgin router into this one? 

No, nothing else. Keep in mind that with it being an access point it won't have the same SSID (Network Name) to connect to.

Unless of course you get NO signal from the HUB in the area the Netgear is going to be placed in which case you can define the same SSID and password/key as the HUB. If there is an overlap in signal between either the HUB or the Netgear your should NOT do this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pearce wrote:

@c372hsh wrote:

No, nothing else. Keep in mind that with it being an access point it won't have the same SSID (Network Name) to connect to.

Unless of course you get NO signal from the HUB in the area the Netgear is going to be placed in which case you can define the same SSID and password/key as the HUB. If there is an overlap in signal between either the HUB or the Netgear your should NOT do this.

Devices should be smart enough to connect to whichever is emitting the stronger signal though. 

0 Kudos