Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Need help with intermittent wifi.

For the last couple of months we have had our wifi down on all devices for a few hours each day. We have done all the checks and rebooted etc. but it happens at random times and then comes back on for no apparent reason. We have tried to check speeds but we're not technicians ourselves.

We really want to get an engineer out to visit, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Obviously it's working ths minute because I can post this message, but it comes and goes through the day. It's terrible service from VM as we pay a lot of money for something that doesn't work as it should.

Please can somebody help? We have tried all of the suggestions on the virgin website and just get nowhere.

Thanks in advance

SF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Need help with intermittent wifi.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying so fast!

Sorry for not being very knowledgeable about tech stuff, but by 'third party equipment' what do you mean? Do you mean we can buy another router or something else? They vary greatly in price, and don't want to spend even more ££ to find that we're still having intermittent wifi. Thought VM was menat to be the best broadband? Could it be possible that the problem isn't the router, but the cable going into it?

SF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It depends. Are wired connections also dropping?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Basically, you put the VM Hub into Modem Mode and add your own Router or Mesh System.

As long as the WAN signal is good, adding the third party equipment will give a far superior Wi-Fi environment that the VM Hub could never get close to.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos