Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Need help figuring out where this unknown EAP connection is coming from

So there's a second wifi connection that appears which you can connect to whenever my regular router is turned on and it's labelled as "Virgin Media", I know for sure this connection comes from my main wifi network because it disappears whenever my router is off. The difference is that this second connection uses 802.1x EAP method to connect, there's like SIM, TLS and other EAP authentication to choose from.

Example:

- My main wifi: VM12121

- Unknown EAP connection appears: Virgin Media

I looked up EAP and I'm still not sure what it is or how it works but most importantly how can someone have a secondary EAP connection from my main network. Why is there a hotspot coming from my router? Some people say the ISP uses my router for an isolated Mobile connection for other costumers? is this true? How does this work?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Need help figuring out where this unknown EAP connection is coming from

Hello

Yes you hub also broadcasts a free to access public wireless connection for Virginmedia mobile and broadband customers, it doesn't affect your connection as it has it own link to the backend of the Virginmedia nework.

To be able too access this the mobile device has to have the mobile Virginmedia app on the device and logged into their primary account, I use this for both Mobile and Tablet on another provider when out and about.

You can turn it off at https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/view if you scroll down the page there is a section My Services and under there is the section Virgin Media Wifi which explains and also allow you to Opt Out.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks