Menu
Jordan-hughesy0
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My wifi is sooo laggy

Got my broadband/tv box installed and i cant even play my ps4 is proper laggy and its really fustrating do u get a ethernet cable with the virgin tv box thingy cause maybe thats slowing my wifi in my room see my wifi box is downstairs in livingroom and my ps is in my room i cant see to stay in any of my games i keep getting booted out due to lag 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: My wifi is sooo laggy

You are gaming over wifi? Axcording to my son - that's a recipe for disaster on a VM Hub wifi.

Try connecting the PS4 to the Hub via ethernet cable permanently if you can (be creative with how you run a cable) or temporarily (take the PS4 to be near the Hub) just to see if that cures the issue.

If it does then connect permanently or get an alternative solution with better wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Jordan-hughesy0
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you sir see ive found out on my connection settings its the signal strenth that keeps going up and down the connection speed is fine its just really fustrating because i only got my virgin hub 4 installed yeasterday and havent been able to play online as it keeps saying connection lost the ethernet doesnt reach u see im in my room and wifi is downstairs idk what to do cause by right im not paying for something i cant even get on to game u know 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My lad games fine using a pair of high quality "powerline adapters" and short ethernet cables to connect one to the router and the other in his room to the consoles. It can be hit and miss though depending on the property's electrical circuitry quality and the quality of Adapter. My lads cost him £90 a pair - nowadays you can get a good introductory Mesh system for that money.

Note that VM (& all other BB providers) provide a service that is guaranteed TO the Hub and what comes out from it on an ethernet cabled device. They all expressly exclude guaranteeing wifi connections - as it is so influenced by the external environment. Even BT with its glossy ad's saying wifi is “guaranteed”, also charge £10/month for that and say that if it isn’t sorted they will just give you £100 back. VM try and help with swapping the Hub (just in case!) and providing pods etc., but the reality is, that if the Hub wifi doesnt work well for you then you are far better sourcing your own wireless equipment.

I dont know if you can do this on the Hub4 - you can on a Hub3 which is that you could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands and switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos