cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wifi is off more than it is on

Jenny98
On our wavelength

I have ran tests after a hell of a lot of hassle it's come up and told me I have problems with all of my connected devices. Yes I do the non existent wifi.  It then goes on to say move hub I can't move the hub it's as far stretched with the leads you supply as it can be.

All of these  constant drops started right after upgrading to the new 360 which was done by you supplying a different remote control.

I always had poor connection and was told I needed boosters which I still haven't managed to get 3 even though I was promised they would be sent when I got talked into setting a new contract up, and the 2 I do have are now utterly useless because of the lack of wifi.

Your tests say there is nothing wrong BUT internet speed test is giving me a 1 or 3mbs  result and yes it's 1 not 100.

Wired connection to laptop shows Wi-Fi or internet but it's not  connected.

Nothing has been Moved only thing that's been changed is my 360 upgrade. The Wi-Fi in the home has been low but never ever dropped prior to that.

Sometimes it can go 30 minutes or so without cutting off then it's literally on for Sconds then off again .

My disabled Daughter is unable to play her games it's so bad HELP

33 REPLIES 33

Hi is that orders and appointments it's not showing anythng? 

Thank you Ash just got the details for the visit 

Hey Jenny98, no problem at all.

Please do keep us updated on how this visit goes. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Had a very good engineer visit, WiFi  hasn't dropped yet  since he left... Hopefully it will stay that way. I have never had WiFi in part of the house at all my levels were too high and I'm too close to the box. I complained about it before and just got fobbed off. 

Thanks to every one that helped with this 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Jenny98 

Thanks for updating the thread.

It sounds like you had a good tech visit. I hope your daughter is able to play her games now,

Any further problems just shout up again.

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for letting us know about the technician visit Jenny98 and that it went so well and I hope that is the last of your connection issues but if you do have any further problems, please reach out to us here.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Jenny98
On our wavelength

I really do not believe this just did a long message about the  problems and got a cut as i hit the send which logged me out if the forum !!!! 

Tech visit he had checked something b4 arrival and  all my bars were in the red and should  have been green. He fitted somethng to the hub on checking after that  speeds in every room were 50 and have never been that high.
The drops can sometimes go hours between them then they go on for hours, of course the day of the tech visit there was no drops prior to him coming.

Over the weekend I started to get drops again  and they got worse. 
Monday night my pod spent most of the night flashing but the wifi was working to the tablets!!!!
Tuesday as soon as i got near that pod the signal dropped to almost nothing.
I was trying to log in here Tuesday to askfor help when i had a phone call from VM telling me I had a problem with the pods, I told him  its the wifi dropping,  He got me to reset Router and change a pod into the room where the Hub is
Which I find strange as  My first room from the hub has never had poor signal its just every other room. He got me to go round and check and it did seem ok he was calling back next afternoon to check all was ok which shoukd have been wednesday and Said if its not changed I woukd either need a new hub or tech visit   and here we are Saturday  and still no call.
The cuts are getting worse daily I  counted 9 in a hour earlier and also now even though im showing wifi bars there is nothing... That hasnt happened before.
Tv started buffering last night but its now doing it a lot longer its not just a odd few seconds.
Ive realy had enough of this now  !

Jenny98
On our wavelength

This is a follow onto my previous problems, I posted Saturday for further help ascI have had no answer I dont know if the post is closed 

The previous post is  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/My-wifi-is-off-more-than-it-is-on/m-p/52080...

Tech visit he had checked something b4 arrival and  all my bars were in the red and should  have been green. He fitted somethng to the hub on checking after that  speeds in every room were 50 and have never been that high.
The drops can sometimes go hours between them then they go on for hours, of course the day of the tech visit there was no drops prior to him coming. There were no further drops over the rest of  Thursday
I had a few Friday then Over the weekend I started to get constant drops again  and they got worse. 
Monday night my pod spent most of the night flashing but the wifi was working to the tablets!!!!
Tuesday as soon as i got near that pod the signal dropped to almost nothing.
I was trying to log in here Tuesday last week  to ask for help when i had a phone call from VM telling me I had a problem with the pods, I told him  its the wifi dropping,  He got me to reset Router and change a pod into the room where the Hub is
Which I find strange as  My first room from the hub has never had poor signal its just every other room. He got me to go round and check and it did seem ok he was calling back next afternoon to check all was ok which shoukd have been wednesday and Said if its not changed I would either need a new hub or tech visit   and here we are now a week later   and still no call.
The cuts are getting worse daily I  counted 9 in a hour earlier and also now even though im showing wifi bars there is nothing... That hasnt happened before.
Tv started buffering last friday  night but its now doing it a lot longer its not just a odd few seconds.
Ive realy had enough of this now  !.
Since I added this post to my previous thred Saturday its  got worse when its messing about.
My wifi dropped  4.19  /4.21 / 4.26 ,4.34,  4.44 , 4.44, 4.46,  4.49,  4.51,  4.58,   5.01,  yesterday thats 11 drops in 38 minutes!!!!   and some times even when it comes back i cant actually do anything even though it shows connected.
This really is not the service I am paying for !!!!!!!

Hi @Jenny98

Really sorry to hear that this was not resolved for you with the technician appointment and that the team have not called back as agreed. 

I have taken a look at our side and cannot see any area issues or any concerns with your router specs that might be causing your WiFi concerns. I can see that one of your pods is in a poor position and not receiving an strong/stable signal to pass to the fire stick. I would highly recommend looking at repositioning this pod as this may be help with WiFi coverage in that area. Which would explain why your tablets were working fine. 

When repositioning, if possible, please do not place pods near the outside walls of the home. The pod should not be blocked by metal, placed near mirrors or placed in the path of thick construction material that can weaken the WiFi signal. If possible, reposition the pod to be closer to the core/middle of the home.  Do not place routers in socket/power extenders. The router and each pod should be within 2 rooms of each other to create a strong link/chain to one another. 

Hopefully these steps will help, you might need to play around with your in home set up so you can get the best overall WiFi performance throughout your home. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Jenny98
On our wavelength

Sorry where have you got it from tablets work fine I listed 11 drops in 38 minutes it's so bad I can't even sign into  things online. 

When engineer was here it was working he removed furthest pod and said I didn't need it all rooms had good to full signal and have only ever had 2 bars max  that was fine for a day then all started again 

The call from VM he told me to put it in room near hub , all worked fine for a few hours now the drops are worse than ever .

Prior to these problems pre pods the room in use with TV and using tablets never dropped signal at all so there has to be something wrong other than positioning of pods