Menu
courtney666
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My smart devices (camera and smart plugs) and wireless printer won't work after 5G router installed.

My smart devices (camera and smart plugs) and wireless printer won't work after 5G router installed.   I suspect that they are only compatible with 2.4G and I can't see a 2.4G in my netwoek settings.          Is there any way I can revert to 2.4G on my ipad, computer and mobile phone?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: My smart devices (camera and smart plugs) and wireless printer won't work after 5G router installed.

smart plugs are usually 2.4 as you suspect

what do you mean 5G router - is this your own router or a new VM hub - i suspect the solution is the same regardless - you need to split the wifi bands - log in and change the name on either the 5G or the 2.4 once you have done that you should then be able to point the 2.4 devices to the correct ssid

Tony
0 Kudos
courtney666
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My smart devices (camera and smart plugs) and wireless printer won't work after 5G router installed.

Thanks Tony,    Yes it's a new VM hub.   I am afraid I don't know how to alter SSID's or other things you mention  (complete gobbledigook to me).    Maybe I need a 14 year old to show me !

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you need to log into hub via a browser 192.168.0.1 then enter password from base of hub - if you have never logged in before i think it will ask you to set the language then - advanced settings - wireless - security

once there you will see 2.4 and 5 security settings - the WiFi Network Name (SSID) will be the same for each band - rename one of them and save - you can change the password for one if you want but its not needed

once you have done that you will then see both the 2.4 and the 5 band so you can connect to either just point the smart plugs and any other 2.4 devices to the 2.4 ssid and they should work 

thats from someone a lot older than 14 but no matter

Tony
0 Kudos
courtney666
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for your replies.   It prompted me to ask my son to help (should have done that in the first place but he lives away).    After having two virgin engineers call and delivery of a new router I still had the problems WITH MY "ADD-ONS" .   Obviously the engineers didn't know the answer but my son (who's a Microsoft engineer and manager of an American Computer Company)  said "it's quite simple really"  AND IT WAS

I can't remember it all .but he advised me to put 192.168.0.1 into my search bar and split my Virgin Broadband internet setting into two  (and name them _5G and _2G respectively)    He then sent me this web address   and  said "follow the instructions"! 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/seperating-router-into-2-4ghz-and-5ghz/m-p/...     This brought up a page like the one shown (above) in a previous reply.    Hey presto!

As soon as I set up my phones, wireless printer,  Ipads, & computer to the new VM-----2G network and reset the Smart devices they all worked!   

Pity the Virgin Engineers didn't know this.   All they seemed to know was how to fit a new router, set up to 5G and print a test page on my printer.   When I told them I can do that myself on 5G but I can't print documents or set up my smart devices they simply said "sounds like you need new ones!"   Then they had to leave quickly for other appointments!

After wasting 12 days of my life trying to resolve the issue with Virgins customer service and their engineers I reolved it (with the help of my son ) and got everything up and running in an hour!     I hope Virgin advise their employees about this issue.

0 Kudos
courtney666
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks (full reply below)
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@courtney666 wrote:

Thanks everyone for your replies.   It prompted me to ask my son to help (should have done that in the first place but he lives away).    After having two virgin engineers call and delivery of a new router I still had the problems WITH MY "ADD-ONS" .   Obviously the engineers didn't know the answer but my son (who's a Microsoft engineer and manager of an American Computer Company)  said "it's quite simple really"  AND IT WAS

I can't remember it all .but he advised me to put 192.168.0.1 into my search bar and split my Virgin Broadband internet setting into two  (and name them _5G and _2G respectively)    He then sent me this web address   and  said "follow the instructions"! 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/seperating-router-into-2-4ghz-and-5ghz/m-p/...     This brought up a page like the one shown (above) in a previous reply.    Hey presto!

As soon as I set up my phones, wireless printer,  Ipads, & computer to the new VM-----2G network and reset the Smart devices they all worked!   

Pity the Virgin Engineers didn't know this.   All they seemed to know was how to fit a new router, set up to 5G and print a test page on my printer.   When I told them I can do that myself on 5G but I can't print documents or set up my smart devices they simply said "sounds like you need new ones!"   Then they had to leave quickly for other appointments!

After wasting 12 days of my life trying to resolve the issue with Virgins customer service and their engineers I reolved it (with the help of my son ) and got everything up and running in an hour!     I hope Virgin advise their employees about this issue.

well - i told you all that a day earlier - but no matter its all sorted now

Tony
0 Kudos
courtney666
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I appreciate that but I was confused. We are not all geeks! But thanks for making the effort!
0 Kudos