Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

My mobile RootCA profile has expired, help!

Two months ago I noticed I had trouble connecting with my home WiFi. Now I just flat out can’t connect. The cause appears to be an expired virgin mobile internet profile. I can’t even speak to anyone at Virgin and last bill it cost me more money because, conveniently, my mobile data does still work, so I was charged for an extra gigabyte while sitting 2 metres away from my WiFi hub. To be clear everything else I have that uses WiFi works fine, I’ve soft reset, hard reset, on off again with hub, accessed my hub settings online the whole deal so I am certain it is the expiration of one part of my virgin internet profile that is the cause. Can anyone tell me how to renew this, as a current paying customer? I realise most people would have upgraded and I will, but I should be able to access my WiFi when I pay for that with virgin AND also pay for my mobile contract with virgin mobile in the mean time right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: My mobile RootCA profile has expired, help!

Your home WiFi doesn't need a certificate. The only Virgin Media WiFi service that uses that is the out of home WiFi service via the Virgin Media Connect app.

To connect your Mobile to your home WiFi you should be connecting to the WiFi name on your Hub.

To update the certificate on the out of home WiFi setup you need to re-run the setup on your device through the Connect app, which means when you're away from home you're device will connect to the 'Virgin Media' WiFi network which is the hotspot service.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Can your Mobile phone 'see' both the Wi-Fi frequencies of your VM Hub ?

Do the two Wi-Fi frequencies have different names (SSIDs) so that you can easily tell them apart ?

Is 'Channel Optimisation' disabled in your VM Hub ?

Will your Mobile phone work on 2.4GHz and 5GHz ? (Not to be confused with 5G Mobile signal)

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes my mobile does still connect to the WiFi router but as the mobile phones data profile certificate has expired it won’t allow it to connect through. Ironically I can if I use say a sky hub that doesn’t belong to me for example. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

What network name are you connecting to on your mobile? Virgin Media Fibre home WiFi doesn't have a certificate so you shouldn't see the error
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes my WiFi hub works fine but my virgin mobile phone will connect but not anywhere past the hub, so no internet. All my other WiFi devices have no problems. It’s not the hub having a certificate, as you said they don’t. It’s the mobile phone that has an internet certificate visible in the profiles section along with the globalCA root certificate, and any insurance RootCA’s too. They are dated usually for about 10 years in most cases.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It’s not the hub, it’s the RootCA certificate that expired, my hub works for every other device. I did swap frequencies etc before I understood that my RootCA had expired, then really if my mobile can’t ‘prove’ to the hub that it is safe to be allowed outdoors, it’s not getting out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

No certificates should be required to use the WiFi as part of your Virgin Fibre WiFi. Not on the Hub or your device.

What mobile device do you have ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

All smart phones use root licenses, if you check on your particular model you can find them. GlobalCA is a standard for all mobile devices in the Apple range for example. It’s a common problem and a difficult one to fix on your own as most people don’t have or want to mess with root certifications. If you check any mobile phone manufacturer they will have a list of trusted RootCA that may be used to connect. It really isn’t the hub, that works fine, it’s the mobile certification that all mobile devices use in order to connect to what we call the www, avoiding all that dark web restricted and illegal content.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

yes all devices use root certs. But your connection to your wifi doesn't use any of them certificates to connect to the wifi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos