Menu
ckcoleman84
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My constant WiFi fails

Can anyone help or advise please?
my WiFi is terrible. Randomly drops off, signal is sporadic through the house. 
I done all the things I can think of to help - disabling 5GHz, resetting etc.  

My log so far is below. I’m wondering whether a different router would help? If anyone could advise of a suitable affordable alternative? 

thanks so much  

02D4CB06-246F-4F7F-BE08-B806C233EDFE.jpeg

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: My constant WiFi fails

I've got an Archer c7 - Love it!

Steady as a rock!

I'm sure you've realised that the VM Hubs have awful wifi (well you've posted here... 😉 )

Definitely get your own wifi kit!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
ckcoleman84
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

There is so much kit out there, each with differing positive and negative reviews. Many just plug into the Hub 3 with wifi disabled. I have explored this before and it failed.

Is there anything out there which directly replaces the Hub, or do I have to still use that kit? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you have to use the to use the hub.
you need to put the hub into modem mode and then its just a dumb modem and you can use your own router
0 Kudos
ianhn
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 is not fit for purpose. i have been constantly complaining since was upgraded and get the same answers as everyone else. make up of house , other wifi and produces interfering etc but the signal was crap. My contract was due to be replace a few weeks ago and i sounded off how bad the wifi was to get a discount as you do. The guy on the line said all the right things "wifi is our selling point over competitors and if not working keep coming back to us" I have been doing that for nearly 4 weeks and still signal crap and sometimes un usable.

I am normally someone who when gets annoyed and something does not work I shout and shout but VM are impossible. I eventually decided to buy a separate wifi route or mesh system.  If you look on other forum people recommend various systems and it is down to what you think will be best for your house.  One thing to watch out for is a lot of people recommend switching hub 3 to modem mode. If you do this you only have one ethernet out socket so if you need more and you new kit does not have ethernet sockets you need to keep the hub 3 working as normal but I will come back to this later.

I went for a Deco M4 twin set at £89 as have a 3 bedroom semi with two floors . You can get them cheaper but I was desperate and wanted an instant fix.

Set up was easy and it was like switching on a light bulb. No buffering, web pages loaded up and I was even getting pictures where before it was like dial up wit only text or pictures updated later. Checked signal and even get a good signal out my back garden where I did not have  anything before. i cannot comment on gaming as I don't online game but streaming service load up almost instant and I think look better but that is my opinion.

This shows how not fit for purpose hub 3 is and as I said I don't give in and will continue at VM. 

I have re named my VM wifi Network "WM wifi is crap AVOID" anyone local to me that picks this up will see this as a warning not to change to VM. 

Now if everyone who has had issues with Hub 3 and needs to use to third party kit to get what VM promise in advertising, especially in high population change the name of their de-funked not fit for purpose Hub 3 signal "WM wifi is crap AVOID" other people would see and think twice about using VM services. 

Maybe if it hits them in new connection they will do something about there not fit for purpose kit

0 Kudos
ckcoleman84
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your detailed reply. I totally agree. It is so frustrating. 

I left sky for the faster speeds with virgin, and lost all the stability. I will be leaving them at the earliest opportunity.

I’ve tried a few different mesh routers and they’ve all been rubbish, but I suspect I’ve just bought cheap and cheerful. I need to (unfortunately) throw some money at it. 

it is such a shame. You’d think more people would throw complaints at virgin! 

thanks so much. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

the hub works for most people. People that it doesn't most will get there own kit.
As your contract excludes wifi there isn;t much to complain about.
0 Kudos
ckcoleman84
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not entirely helpful but thanks. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

not helpful but true
0 Kudos
ckcoleman84
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your insight. I imagine your contributions to this forum are of endless help to people. The fact is this hub is not fit for purpose for a lot of people. Have a look at this forum which will verify that. Telling people to suck it up is not really in the spirit of this platform. 
People are using this forum to try and support each other when they have issues - to make a positive difference. I’m unsure of your intentions other than to provoke. 
Thank you once again for your contribution. I recognise that not all responses will be helpful for me, but will perhaps help others. 

0 Kudos