Menu
TeePee81
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My broadband speed is unusually slow

I’ve had my broadband with Virgin for 4 or 5 years and consistently had the speeds I’ve paid for. At the beginning of this year I opted for a package that offered 200mbps download and 20mbps upload which suited my home working. 
At first it was fine but over the last 2 or 3 weeks I’ve noticed a significant drop in performance. Speeds will be intermittently poor and drop to around 50mbps. 
I’ve done the usual troubleshooting such as testing the cables, switching the hub on/off and resetting the hub itself. When I’ve called 150, the automated service restarts my hub every time and when I’ve spoken to someone, I get told they’re sending a signal to reset it and advised that they can’t guarantee that I get the speeds I’m paying for. This is really frustrating when I’m paying £40 per month and for the past 4-5 years have not had a problem. 
can anyone give any advice as to what other options I can try?

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: My broadband speed is unusually slow

@TeePee81 wrote:

I’ve had my broadband with Virgin for 4 or 5 years and consistently had the speeds I’ve paid for. At the beginning of this year I opted for a package that offered 200mbps download and 20mbps upload which suited my home working. 
At first it was fine but over the last 2 or 3 weeks I’ve noticed a significant drop in performance. Speeds will be intermittently poor and drop to around 50mbps. 
I’ve done the usual troubleshooting such as testing the cables, switching the hub on/off and resetting the hub itself. When I’ve called 150, the automated service restarts my hub every time and when I’ve spoken to someone, I get told they’re sending a signal to reset it and advised that they can’t guarantee that I get the speeds I’m paying for. This is really frustrating when I’m paying £40 per month and for the past 4-5 years have not had a problem. 
can anyone give any advice as to what other options I can try?

speeds over wired connections or wifi?

0 Kudos
TeePee81
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
The speeds are over WiFi.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How does the connection perform when connected via ethernet?  Is this something that you can test?

Wifi is subject to interference, and frankly, the wifi component of the hub is unreliable and very low end.  If everything performs well when connected by ethernet then the connection is good and it's "just" a case of improving wireless.

You could try to optimise the wifi provided by the hub (disabling channel optimisation in the smart wifi options and possibly splitting the 2.4 and 5ghz channels into different networks) or you could investigate 3rd party options.. but the first thing you should do is test performance when wired.. 

0 Kudos
TeePee81
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. Because of the various devices we use, everything is WiFi and we don’t have the Ethernet option. 
I noticed a marked difference when I upgraded to 200mbps. Initially it was ok although we never really hit 200 but gradually over time the speed has declined to where we are now. Strangely enough, our upload speed (20mbps) has remained consistent. 
In your opinion, is it usual to have to take the steps you suggest when our broadband has worked fine without those measures until we upgraded? I’ll certainly give it a go, it’s just odd to me that we’ve been fine for so long until now and we haven’t changed anything in our setup that would impact the speed (I.e. hub is in the same location) other than upgrading. 
I noticed that in this thread, the person describes a similar issue:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/VERY-slow-download-and-upload-speeds/td-p/4587845 

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@TeePee81 wrote:

Thanks for this. Because of the various devices we use, everything is WiFi and we don’t have the Ethernet option. 
I noticed a marked difference when I upgraded to 200mbps. Initially it was ok although we never really hit 200 but gradually over time the speed has declined to where we are now. Strangely enough, our upload speed (20mbps) has remained consistent. 
In your opinion, is it usual to have to take the steps you suggest when our broadband has worked fine without those measures until we upgraded? I’ll certainly give it a go, it’s just odd to me that we’ve been fine for so long until now and we haven’t changed anything in our setup that would impact the speed (I.e. hub is in the same location) other than upgrading. 
I noticed that in this thread, the person describes a similar issue:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/VERY-slow-download-and-upload-speeds/td-p/4587845 

the speed upgrade shouldn't affect teh wireless component of the hub in any way -  it's totally unrelated. 

the problem with wireless is that it is subject to interference from the local environment, which can and does change over time.. maybe your neighbours got a new router that is broadcasting on the same channels as yours, maybe the council installed some new fancy wireless cctv system in the area, maybe you got a new microwave that causes speeds to drop when in use and you haven't linked the two.. there are too many factors that can influence the performance to be certain about what the cause is.. 

the request to test with a wired device is because wired connections are, generally speaking, much less susceptible to any outside factors.. they are also the only thing that is included in VMs speed guarantees.. so if the wired connection is good then you have options for what to do about wireless.. 

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning TeePee81, 

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and  very warm welcome to you

Some good advice offered here from @sophist on the functionality of a Wi-Fi service.

If you are able to obtain a device with an Ethernet port and a Cat 6 Ethernet cable, running a speed test, with the hub in modem mode would tell us exactly what speed we're getting into your property

If this is below the advised speed of 200mb, then this may expose an issue outside of the property and need our attention. 

It may also be worth taking a read of ways to combat the Wi-Fi issues you’re experiencing, via these links - http://virg.in/wifihelp & http://virg.in/WiFiwins

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos